Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got her from PetSmart and while I'm fully aware of the issues of those rats, I got her anyway.
So it seems she has some kind of respiratory issue. I ordered some doxycycline for fish for her, because I can't get her to a vet until Friday. Will it work? I believe so, I'm just worried about getting the right dosage.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Can you find a way to take her to the vet sooner? It really is best to have a veterinarian examine her and prescribe the proper medication(s). I wouldn't trust doxycycline that is sold for fish....however I know there are lots of rat people who think this is fine to do. I've worked in the veterinary field for almost 15 years and know that prescription medications purchased from a source other than your veterinarian can cause a host of problems. Here are a few reasons why: http://aboutpetrats.com/health/where-to-buy-medications

Do you just have one rat? You probably know it's best to have at least two.

I sure hope her respiratory issues aren't too severe and that you can get her to the vet sooner than later.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My one rat buck has had respiratory issues and they subside every time I give him doxycycline. I purchase fish doxy in 100 gram packets and mix it with maple syrup using the rat medication guide. It's hard to know though if it is best to treat rats with respiratory issues with amoxicillin or doxycycline but I believed the latter doesn't 'kill' the bacteria but doesn't allow it to thrive which enables the rat's immune system to the do the rest. However, I could be wrong.

Hundreds of people purchase rat meds online and hundreds of rats are saved. I am not sure how many are negatively affected and would be interested in knowing. Not everyone can afford the prices vets charge for medications and of course the argument could be if you can't afford vet care don't get a rat.

When is your order of doxy going to arrive? Friday is a long way off to get your rat checked. Check to see if your vet can squeeze you in earlier. Also, you didn't mention what type of respiratory issues your rat is presenting with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The expected arrival date for the meds is tomorrow but I'm thinking it'll be Tuesday. I won't have money for the vet until Friday. I only had enough to order some meds.
She's breathing fairly rapidly, is lethargic, still drinks water often though. I hear sniffling and occasional sneezing. I thought her heartbeat was rapid but it seems that it's actually normal.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The two are not from the same place and my older rat is healthy. They're staying in totally separate houses.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am sorry for you loss and am going through the same thing. My heart rat passed exactly one week ago and was buried in my backyard with a note letting my her know how much I appreciated having her in my life. Those 2 1/4 years with her were wonderful and we shared a mutual love. I would never take them back despite the pain.

Although I have five other rats, none are her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.