Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kamali is one of my Maritimer sisters who came from New Brunswick on a 2 person rat train to Ontario. Her mom and dad were bought to feed the snake but snakeywasn't hungry so the gf of the snake-owner kept them. Sadly the bf liked to torture them by letting the cat into their cage etc. As we all know males and females living together make babies and a wonderful rescue woman came into the picture. The 12 babies were taken out of there when the bf started saying he was going to feed them to his snake as a snack. At a week old Kamali and Kyrie and their siblings were saved.

Sadly they always seemed to have respiratory issues but they used to clear up with baytril/doxy. then we had to bump it up a notch to baytril/zithro which has rarely failed me. :)

Unfortunately my wonderful, kind, knowlegeable vet sold her clinic and was having her new one built. She has been MIA for over 5 months now :(. I have been forced to see a crappy vet who knows nothing about medicating rats, etc. He will give me baytril but no zithro.

Kamali started doing some hard rapid breathing and knowing her siblings have had issues with CHF I tried her with lasix and enalapril to see if there was any improvement. Nada :(
So my poor girl is getting every 2nd day sub-q injections of gentocin and dexamethasone (steroid) to make her breathing easier. We have an appt with my good vet (finally!!) this Saturday. Last night she took a turn for the worse. I am having to handfeed her and am going to buy Ensure tonight to syringe into her as well. I need to keep my sweetie going until my good vet can see her.

My neutered boy Dilbert has been nursemaiding her, when she wasn't feeling well, and ignoring her when she was feeling better. With a sinking heart I saw him lying under her as a patient pillow last night. :(

Dilbert's uncomplaining squishiness is a great pillow

Kamali stretches and yawns...

Yawns are contagious aren't they Dilly?

You still okay there hun?

And a video of my lovely girl last night

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your rattie is ill lilspaz. It must be terribly frustrating to know what is best for your pet and be denied by an arrogant vet. Just keep her comfy and a watchful eye open.

I am sending plenty of good vibes your way. Just think positively, and stay calm and your rattie will follow suit.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Maritimer :(. I remember that litter, and the transport that was worked out. You really came through for them, and I can't imagine those girls having a better home than you.

Neutered males make such great companions for the ladies, I don't think i'll ever be wikthout one in my cage again. Gentle scritches to Kamali and a good poke for Dilbert.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Poor thing! She's definitely in my thoughts. Good luck lilspaz68. Give Kamali a smooch for me and Dilbert some skritches for being a good nursemaid.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had a similar situation with little Edgar recently. He was very very weak, skinny, breathing problems and gentical disfigurement. My vet gave him steroid injections and antibiotics, which improved him somewhat, but after about 2 months now he is raring to go.

I sympathise complete and I only hope that your ratty gets better soon, good luck

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Poor poor Kamali!

I wish there was something helpful I could say, after all, you've been so helpful to me recently. :( You're doing your best for her, we all know that.

Add plenty of good thoughts and feel-better-soon squishy's to the pot, from me and all my terrors. We're all hoping for the best for Kamali

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
sounds like you are really doing your best to help her, i know lots of people (not on the forum) who would give up when their vet left.

so are you sure there are no more vets in your area? and have i ever mentioned how much i love rat tongues????

good job, ill pray for you guys : )

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone!! :D

Kamali wasn't sleeping in the hammock when I came home or cuddled up to Dilly. I called her name and a sleepy face came out of the bottom Snap-Inn and stretched and yawned. I was sure it wasn't her since I do have Valora who has a big wide beige hood, but nope it was Kamali :)

She is much better tonight, I will be doing daily injections until Dr. Munn sees her, since that will help her breathing. There is no porphryin, no poufed fur but that breathing...sigh :(

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She's the same as last night, so I am hoping she's around the bend and will make it to my Good Vet...woohoo! Have I mentioned how much I hate needles? 8O

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
XD Good news!

She looks bright enough, you know? And, did I see her trying to clean? You know she can't be feeling too bad if she's still got the cleaning bug

Keep the good vibes coming people!

Go Kamali! Get better little girl :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kamali actually seems better not just stable tonight. She was in my lap bright-eyed, having 7 cc's of ensure after her injection and she was grooming quite vigorously then she settled down for some stroking and bruxing. I have a lot of hope now :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The consensus with my vet and I is that Kamali has pulmonary abscesses. :( These are abscesses in her lungs and they rarely respond to treatment as the abscess is walled off. They diminish the room for air to come in so the rat has laboured breathing.

I am to continue on with the dex injections and change her meds to baytril/zithromax. Very happy my vet is back :D:D

·
Registered
483 Posts
My girl rat Tara had a lot of repirtory problems and was basically on doxy a lot. My boy rat used to comfort her when she wasn't doing well--- he used to lay under her. It was so cute. Unfortunetly she just got worse and worse and no better and we had to put her down---I hope your rat gets better soon

1 - 20 of 31 Posts