Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel absolutely terrible.

I was giving my rats some free range time in my living room. I'm normally so careful with my rat-proffing but somehow my rat managed to get into my purse and chewed one of my birth control pills. Only about 1/3-1/2 of it was gone (I found the rest on the couch, but I'm still freaking out. I tried the best I could to get her to drink water and put plenty of high water content veggies (sweetened to be more appealing) in their cage. I have to work all day today so there's not much else I can do as of right now. Will the birth control harm her? Is there anything else I can do or symptoms I should look out for? :( I'm worried sick right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depending on the type of birth control you use, a weeks worth of the pills could be placeboes. If they ate a placebo I wouldn`t worry. If not I think a call to the vet would be in order... Different kinds of birth control pills vary in type and amount of hormone. Knowing the type of pill will be important information to provide when you call. I hope everything is fine.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would call the vet as well. The placebo's can have iron in them, which can be more dangerous than the hormones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could also call the pet poison helpline. They can look up exactly what she took and tell you what the danger is to your pet. They do charge a fee, I think like 35$ or something around that...but if the vet isn't open it's an option.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys! Thanks for all of your help. Just an update: it's been a few days now and she's fine. I'm sure whatever amount she swallowed is out of her system by now. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts