Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after setting up the cage and everything yesterday I went to have a look at some hammocks and see if there were any shelves for my cage at the pet shop. While I was there though I had a look at some rats and couldn't help myself there was this one female rat all alone so I couldn't help but buy her.

I don't know what type she is but she is just plain white. Shes a bit scared at the moment she has just been sitting in the one spot since I brang her home she hasn't even bothered to look around the cage is this normal?

She doesn't run away when i've got my hand near her she just sniffs it and stays where she is I can even stroke her and she doesn't move.

But yes is her behavior normal?

I'll get another girl for her once I find another one as well.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
She's probably a pink eyed white, those are pretty common in pet shops.

She's probably pretty scared right now and so she's 'freezing' when she's being petted. Give her a while to settle in and her personality will blossom.

As long as she doesn't seem ill, she's probably okay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forensic said:
She's probably a pink eyed white, those are pretty common in pet shops.

She's probably pretty scared right now and so she's 'freezing' when she's being petted. Give her a while to settle in and her personality will blossom.

As long as she doesn't seem ill, she's probably okay.
Yeah that seems like her shes got the red eyes.

I've left her in the cage and won't bother her till tomorrow if shes started running around.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Does she have a spot to hide in the cage? A box or igloo or something?

How old is she?

Details on the new rattie! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forensic said:
Does she have a spot to hide in the cage? A box or igloo or something?

How old is she?

Details on the new rattie! :D
Yeah theres a tunnel in there but shes just sittin next to it not in it.

Not to sure how old she is but she is still pretty small.

·
Registered
489 Posts
when you get her a friend, she will probally warm up. and be sure its a girl! check for your self.

she'll warm up soon most likely. plus, chances are she was a feeder and wasnt handled the best way, so you have to show her that people can be good/

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
did you give her something to snuggle into, like fleece or tissues or something similar? i know it doesnt get that cold up there but she will still want to snuggle into something.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard her scampering around last night while I was in bed but i got her a friend today shes a black and white rat and as soon as I put her in the white one started running around and playing with it.

There was a bit of biting from her as well to the new one I think and now everytime i put my hand near her she bites me why is she all of a sudden so aggressive?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Quarrantine and introductionssss!!!!!

For every new rat you should really do a quarrantine to assure no illenesses will infect your ratty.

And introductions should be done with every new rat! It's rare when rats wil just 'accept' each other unless they know one another from the petstore.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You should never stick another rat with her unless it has been properly quarantined and introduced, or things could go horribly wrong. ratguide.com has a good section containing info about quarantine, and it might have introductions done also. Please, get the new rat out of the cage asap and get her into a quarantine tank!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry never known about quarintine and introducing rats and I don't have a spare cage so i can't just take her out now but they seem to be ok with each other they aren't fighting or anything just snuggling together to sleep.

If anyones got ideas about names let me here them caz I don't have any idea what to name them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ashley for black and white is always nice and maybe Amber for the red eyed one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i've got dash for the black and white one because she always darts as soon as there is a sudden movement.

Don't know about the white one yet though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts