Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I first got Topsy & Turvy, someone made a comment to me about how rats smell like grape soda. I thought they were nuts, but they weren't. Both Turvy & Gigi have a very sweet smell (could be grape soda, I never drank it, so I'll go on that person's description). Turvy's smell is a bit stronger than Gigi.

I have noticed though, when Turvy isn't feeling well, the grape soda smell diminishes. when she was sick with a URI, there was no grape soda smell at all, as she recovered, it gradually came back.

Heck, if you have female rats, do they smell like grape soda at all or am I simply losing my mind? Do you notice the smell changing when they aren't feeling well?

·
Registered
304 Posts
My female cat has a similar scent (I've never had female rats, so I have no idea if it's the same smell or just a similar idea). It's kind of sweet, but not sugary or syrupy sweet. I'd describe it as a very faintly scented flower lol.

Perhaps it's a pheromone or other chemical expressed as a light scent, could explain why it changes when they are ill.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My female cat has a similar scent (I've never had female rats, so I have no idea if it's the same smell or just a similar idea). It's kind of sweet, but not sugary or syrupy sweet. I'd describe it as a very faintly scented flower lol.

Perhaps it's a pheromone or other chemical expressed as a light scent, could explain why it changes when they are ill.
It's actually very helpful. It's like an early warning system! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
694 Posts
this is probably the weirdest thread i have read lol. i cannot realte in any way. grape soda is good though, you have to try the hansens brand. it is sooo good.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is probably the weirdest thread i have read lol. i cannot realte in any way. grape soda is good though, you have to try the hansens brand. it is sooo good.
I really don't like "fruity" sodas. Never have, even as a kid. Which is why I can't say for sure if it's a grape soda smell or just a sweet, flowery smell as Enne mentioned.

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
694 Posts
I really don't like "fruity" sodas. Never have, even as a kid. Which is why I can't say for sure if it's a grape soda smell or just a sweet, flowery smell as Enne mentioned.
wow! that's funny haha. i can tell you my boys do NOT smell like flowers. they smell like the polar OPPOSITTE.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow! that's funny haha. i can tell you my boys do NOT smell like flowers. they smell like the polar OPPOSITTE.
Yeah, I remember years ago, when I had Grendyll, the last thing he smelled like was anything sweet or flowery. Maybe it's only with the females?

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
469 Posts
After smelling, she smells sweet but not of grape soda. More of a slightly pee-soaked flower scent? 😂

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
469 Posts
My rats have honestly never really been sick, 😳 so I wouldn’t know. When she and Dew first settled in though, and they had new home sniffles, I didn’t smell any of the scent!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My rats have honestly never really been sick, 😳 so I wouldn’t know. When she and Dew first settled in though, and they had new home sniffles, I didn’t smell any of the scent!
I noticed when Turvy had a URI that the sweet smell was gone and towards the end of her medications, it started coming back, so I was curious about it.
Also, the scent does seem to vary a bit from rat to rat ..... Turvy's is pretty stong, whereas Gigi's is very similar but very subtle too.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well, I have boys and they... DO NOT smell of... any of that. Though, I have noticed that Smudge (less dominant) smells odd. Not good, not bad. I don't know haw to describe it.

Reactions: lfraser06

·
Registered
Stella and Luna
95 Posts
I'm not crazy! My girls started smelling like grape juice after I took them outside a few times to explore a small corner garden. I was also feeding them dandelion and violet flowers, and mashed potatoes.
Unfortunately, my mom thinks they smell like wet dog/rats, so I had to stop taking them out for a while. I can kind of smell that, under the grape smell, instead of the usual 'ratty' smell.

·
Registered
Stella and Luna
95 Posts
Let me smell Cloud.
The other night I was checking if they still smelled like wet rat. My mom looked at me like I was crazy and said " You just held a rat up to your face. And smelled it."

We're working on her. She's slowly gone from 'ew rats look at those tails,' to telling them how cute they are when they beg her for cheerios.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nice progress!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts