Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size grates are alright for adult rats to walk on without there being no problems?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Actually i think theres been a study or two which has disproven the lin between bublefoot and grates, its just as likley a rat kept on a solid surface get bumble foot. However theres been a number of studies showing rats prefer being on solid floors to grates, plus grates put the rat above the substrate, taking away the natural digign and rearranging that rats get a massive amount from.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Wire flooring does not cause bumble foot. The cause of bumble foot is DIRTY flooring, which happens just as easily on a solid shelf or pan.

It's always a good idea to have at least some surfaces in the cage that are soft and/or solid for rats to be on if they wish, but if you have ramps or a few wire shelves, it's perfectly fine. So long as you keep them clean.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I was just asking because I put fleece on their grates but they just keep pulling it up lol& it drives me mad lol.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My girls have solid floors (dcn), however my boys cage has wire floors. I put a mix of tiles and fleece over it. Some will remove the fleece and sleep right on the wire. I obviously know nothing about comfort.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly what my boY's do, theyd rather walk on the grates and I don't know why lol. I put it back down and they pull it all back up again. I leave them too it now lol.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find it difficult to do this because of how my cage is set out. I'm going to hAve to take it apart to sort it out.

things you do for your little rat friends.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I find it difficult to do this because of how my cage is set out. I'm going to hAve to take it apart to sort it out.

things you do for your little rat friends.
Yes, the things we do for our little fury loved ones! You'll figure it out eventually, in what works for you. I originally didn't want to use fleece in the beginning and I was using card board (collecting boxes and cutting them into the size of the grates). It drove me insane as I was cutting and cutting and changing them every second day. It didn't work for me. So I moved to fleece. I now have three sets for each grate that I cut to size. Soooo much better and easier to maintain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts