Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I would like to share my experience if introduction of my rats as a newbie. So when I had found my first babie (Winky) she was alone and in the back of a store she has a bad eye and was isolated. I knew when i met her I had to take her and give her a better life then sitting in a container all by herself in the back of a pet store. She is about 3/4 months old and a tad bit skitish she hates to be picked up but once out of the cage she explores and will climb and let me pet her just when trying to pick her up she gets wiggley. She also has bit me a few time were still working on that on the last time was probably the scent of food because she just came over to me calmly sniffed and bit. Anyways so because I knew the importance of having more then one rat I went on the search for a companion I ended up finding two double rexes from a guy on craigslist they were so sweet I ended up with both of them (Aloe &Atlas) they are about 4/5 months old. Aloe seems to be the Alpha and very laid back she will explore and just chill where as Aloe loves to climb all over me and still explore but will coming running back to me immediately if scared or when I call her. Atlas and I bonded immediately and she listens for the most part. I hated the quarantine stage it seemed like forever waiting thise two weeks unfortunately due to my apartment they were housed in seperate cages on opposite sides of the same room. So finely the two weeks was up and after reading post on here I was a bit nervous of a bad intro but I hated that winky was alone. So I took Aloe who I assume will be Alpha and set her in the tub then I went and got winky and set her in as well. I was so happy they did not fight they showed no signs of aggression just sniffed and explored the tub. So from there I took Aloe out and out in Atlas and same thing. So then I put all three together and still all was well. So after a little time I decided to out them all in a car carrier while I cleaned the big main cage. Once they were in the cage they all went exploring and what not and went to sleep together. I was so happy to see that Winky found a family and that they all got along it was one of the happiest moments in my life. Now Aloe and Winky still pin each other and are still working out who's alpha but nothing aggressive or out of the ordinary while Atlas just hangs out and excepts not to be alpha. I just wanted to share my happy ending. So others can here that some intros work well and fast.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Wow, that was easy-breezy. I tried an intro yesterday and it ultimately wasn't successful. Not that anything horrible was happening, but the smaller rat seemed terrified of being pinned by the bigger rat. She fear-pooped and kept running to me like "Saaaave meeee!!!" So I decided to try again next week when I clean the cages.

However. . . next time I will try putting them together in a bin first. They do get along in neutral space.

Congrats on your new expanded mischief! :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I was so shocked how easy and fast it went it took maybe an hour and Winky and Aloe still pin each other but they all sleep together and arent aggressively attacking each other which was my biggest fear

1 - 4 of 4 Posts