Rat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am happy to announce that yesterday we adopted Baloo - a cinnamon adult male, about 1 to 1.5 years old. We got him from a rescue where he had spent last 4 months, following being rescued from a hoarder who had close to 50 rats in a single ferret cage! After a long 4 hour drive, Baloo is under quarantine in his new home, exploring new smells, and getting to know his new family. He appears healthy, though hefty guy. Considering his rough past it is wonderful to know what a gentle giant Baloo is - so calm, cuddly, and almost not at all afraid of strangers. True laprat! I am glad we could give this one a new home.

Vertebrate Rat Mammal Muridae Hamster
Rat Gerbil Hamster Cage Muridae
Rat Cage Hamster Mouse Gerbil
Mammal Vertebrate Rat Rodent Hamster

·
Registered
872 Posts
What a story! You know, I also traveled 4 hours to a shelter to adopt rats seized from a hoarder. They had been languishing in the shelter for months, and yet they were incredibly gentle and loving, which surprised me since I can't imagine they got much one-on-one attention when they were young. Rats are just awesome, and you are awesome for going so far out of your way to give little Baloo a nice, comfy home!

Do you plan to get a friend for him?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baloo's new friends are already awaiting him. But they are of the of the opposite sex, so he will have to be neutered first, and undergo quarantine. Unfortunately next few weeks he will be alone, but after that there should be lots of fun!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There will be pictures, and I plan to shoot a video as well. It should be interesting to see reactions on both sides, since girls know only each other pretty much all their lives, and Baloo probably knew only his brothers, no females, and by the time of introduction he will have lived alone for close to a month.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.