Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I took Louise to the vet for a sniffly nose and wheezing, they told me she was having a myco related respiratory issue and gave us several medications to keep her on. She has been on the meds for almost a week and is making a wonderful recovery. She has not had any trouble breathing and no snotty sniffly nose. She is playing with the other girls and getting along great. She is drinking more water and eating more. So far everything is going great and we will have another check up appointment early next week to make sure everything is completely gone! Shes been doing good at taking her medicine, I was having trouble getting her to take the Baytril (even when I was hiding it in other foods/treats). It smells terrible so I imagine it tastes just as bad... anyways... While there, I found out the vet suspects Louise is much older than I was told she was when I got her. I was under the impression that Louise was about 10 months old, but the vet thinks she may be closer to 18 months because of some of the things that she does. She is pretty mellow now, she drags her tail instead of picking it up when she walks, she looks a little grey and old in the face anyways. She is getting some thin patches of hair and has lost most of the site she had. Shes my little old lady now :p
anyways, I have a few questions for the vet still, but maybe someone on here can help me out until then. Will Louise continue to suffer from respiratory problems now? Or will this go away for a long time? Because she is older than I thought, are there other health issues I need to be on the look out for? Also, she doesnt seem to have any problems walking or climbing or anything, but since shes older will I need to put the ramp back in the critter nation? I took it out because they preferred to climb the cage and ignored the ramp when it was in there.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
First off wether the resp issues come back will depend on the rat. Many rats never get ill again, but some do go on to have chronic issues. They can also get scarring which can make them noisy without being ill

For the second question i wouldnt put the ramps back in unless she cant get around without them. With older rats the more you can keep them mobile and moving, the less they degenerate. It sounds like shes starting a little with HLD (though 18 months is very young for a girl to have this). I would try her on some glucosamine, and see if you can get hold of some senilife over there, this has helped my rats with early onset HLD in the past. I would also ask the vet to do a urine dip stick test when your round again, this can check for protien in the urine, which is a sign of kidney issues and is one of the main causes of old age type symptoms.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that sounds good. I will ask the vet about doing a urine test. Hopefully it will show nothing serious! Will I need to get the glucosamine from the vet? Because she is dragging her tail instead of picking it up when she walks, is that what makes you think shes showing a little HLD? Are there other signs I should be on the look out for before we go to the vet? I apologize for all the questions... I just did not expect her health to begin going downhill so quickly so I feel really unprepared..

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Sorry I see a lot of hld. It starts off by there tail getting floppy which gradually works is way up until there feet start getting flat footed when walking, then more and more weak before they are mostly paralyzed. It could also be an injury to the tail but normally there's some evidence to it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have been doing a little research on HLD since you mentioned it and I definitely think that she is showing more signs than dragging her tail. She also waddles when she walks (I never knew that was something I should have been worried about... We honestly thought it was because she was overweight. turns out she is actually a totally healthy weight). She doesnt seem to have problems climbing or getting around, but come to think of it I havent seen her standing up on her back legs much. Ollie usually stands up all the time to smell the smells and see the sights lol, Louise used to also, I dont remember the last time I saw her do that though.. Man, I knew when I got Louise she was a little older than they were telling me, and once the vet told me she was much older, I cant help but think we really have no idea how old she is. Which would explain the sudden health issues that have come about... Ugh I love her so much, it makes me so sad to think about her age and her health. Once we get to the vet I will let you know what he says and what steps we will be taking for her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts