Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as a warning, this post is going to be pretty gross. But, I'm sure almost everyone on here has dealt with poop in some way and am hoping that at least someone won't be shy to advise me over it.

??? I was just cleaning out the cage and found what appeared to be poop stuck to the side of the bottom. I am litterbox training my girls and just got a new, bigger pan (it's the ferret kind) that I have mounted somewhat up in the air for easy access between the levels. I was going to plop it into the box, as you're supposed to do to "teach" them where to go...but upon closer investigation I got a little concerned. There was one solid looking nugget and there was a lot of smear. It was kind of dark where I was cleaning, so I wiped it up with a towel and when I pulled it into the light to get a better look. It was very green. Last night I fed them strawberries and black grapes, which they loved, along with their normal food. I don't know which of them did it, but they have had diarrhea these past few days. They get it every time they are stressed, but never green like this.

They did some when I took them to the vet two weeks ago and heard dogs barking and birds squawking outside of their carrier. I always cover up the carrier with a towel and hold it close to me for their comfort, but I still don't blame them - I'd be terrified too if I was their size. Once we got into the exam room they were fine. Same with transporting them long distances. When I brought them back to school with me on Sunday it was one of the worst poop disasters ever. Even though I know rats can't vomit, I would have sworn they had vomited all over the carrier from the look and smell of it. I try to keep them as calm as I can and feed them all the right things. They were really sick when I first got them but now they really do seem to be in very good help. I never see them when they have their...accidents...only when they're having natural, healthy bowel movements in (mostly and hopefully in) their litterbox. It is confusing to me, because they aren't in their carrier or in a very stressful environment right now.

I was watching some video yesterday where this guy talked about his gerbil having green poop and dying minutes later of parasite-induced convulsions, so it kind of freaked me out when I saw they had it. I did read though that certain foods can cause green poop...I've had it, too, after drinking one too many Route 44 powerades at Sonic (sorry for the TMI, I really don't find many things gross if they relate to the body - which is why I'm going into the medical or veterinary fields ;D). They do have some green and blue treats (admittedly unhealthy, sugary hamster treats from walmart) that I think may be causing it, but I love my girls so much I really want to know if there is something I should be concerned with.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The diarrhea is most likely caused by too much fruit/veggie. I find that my girls get watery poops when they have too much of that stuff. Once I just have them the tiniest bit and they ate more of their regular lab blocks, their poop got more firm.

As far as the green part, I have no idea. Sometimes my girls poops are green too but I don't think too much of it. Human poops change in color depending on what they eat so I'm assuming rats poops would also.

Don't be concerned over reading that article with the gerbil. Rats and gerbils are completely different. I'm sure your rat won't die. Just keep an eye on their poop if you're concerned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts