Rat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My Husband and I just adopted a new member to our family, a little Blue and White Female Rat that we named Zoey.

I have owned rats before in my younger years, but to be honest - I took care of them like I did my Hamsters. I lost my girl to a tumor she had and I never owned a Rat again.

That was in 1991, and now it is 2007 and my Husband and I need as much help as possible. I've been searching all over the internet Googling Rats, Training, Care and I came across this forum - I thought "what a better idea on getting to know other Rat Owners...or better yet....Folk Owned By Rats" than to join a forum to gain as much knowledge and get as much advice as possible to make sure our Little Zoey is healthy, happy and taken care of properly.

My Husband took me to the Pet Store today to look at Hamsters, but when he and I saw the tank with a litter of Female Blues, we went AWWWWW and had to bring her home.

I'll be asking allot of questions :D I hope no one gets too annoyed :p :wink:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Welcome!

Rats do best in pairs, so if any of her sisters stood out to you.... :lol:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome! Where aboots in Canada do you live eh? :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome to the both of you, very kind.

From British Columbia EH. LOL Aboots. You sound like those Upper Peninsulan's.

Thank you for the tip on Rats In Pairs. I think we might have to run back and grab one of her sisters. The store Manager who assisted us told us that if we were to spend allot of time with her, she'd be fine - but if we were away allot, to get her a litter mate for companionship.

We're rethinking that and spoke about heading back and getting Zoey a companion.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I think it's usually said that rats need other rats, even if you can spend over 5 hours with the rat a day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good to know! Thank you, there is one complete blue female that my Husband liked so we've spoken about heading back and picking her up.

Our little Zoey is blue on her face and down her neck, then white - with a blue stripe going down her back. She's a cutie patootie.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Zoey's a blue hooded. :) I've always wanted a blue boy. Someday. Someday. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the hello's! Makes one feel welcomed! I cannot wait to get to know everyone here, and definate learn much to better benefit my little Zoey.

I have no idea the breeds and markings of Domesticated Ratties, but I've been learning allot from reading here.

I didn't realize Zoey was a Blue Hooded Rattie, the Manager at the Pet Store called her a Blue Rat - I knew Blue was involved...lol.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Catching up from behind...

Welcome to the forums!

Please take a moment to read the site rules and enjoy your stay! :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
hi & welcome to the forums~
i'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your ratty (or ratties, whenever you bring the sister home). :]
i am from BC as well!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
awwwww..... sounds cute! i just got 2 female rats as well. ive been to b.c in vancouver and chilliwack, you are so lucky to like there, im in canada, but i dont see mountains out my window!

·
Registered
476 Posts
It certainly sounds like you're in for some fun having your first in years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi im new to the forum as well and what do you know im also from B.C :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts