Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I’ve talked about Harris on this forum, I often mentioned his dominance disputes with Jordan. I usually thought Jordan would squeak loud enough that it was a little concerning, and I would often seperate the two for a few seconds until they calmed down.

Today, I let Harris and Barrat out of their cage for some free roam time. Harris left the cage momentarily to retrieve any snacks that might have fallen onto the floor, but he quickly returned to the cage to sulk on the top floor; only a little while ago has he climbed into the hammock that was a few steps away from his previous spot.

I don’t think I’ve understood until now just how much Jordan meant to Harris.

Jordan came from my second pair of rats. Along with his brother, Preston, they were originally brought in so that they could take a space in Terrance’s heart after Terrance’s own paired-brother, Atlas, died. Harris and Barrat were bought afterwards, and all five got along really well, until Terrance and Preston passed.

Now Jordan’s gone as well, meaning that the original trio have all departed. I’m just glad that Jordan wasn’t alone at the end of his life, I had figured he might pass when his breathing got worse and he wouldn’t take his favourite snack of a pumpkin seed.

Pet supply Mammal Carnivore Rodent Whiskers

Preston, Terrance, Jordan (Original Trio)

Carnivore Whiskers Fawn Rodent Terrestrial animal

Barrat, Jordan, Harris (Second Trio)

Comfort Rodent Fawn Whiskers Snout

Harris, Jordan

· Registered
Sten Sigurdsson & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Arthur and Isabella(R.I.P Harald Fairhair)
315 Posts
Well at least he has a friend to play with. Rats get super depressed even when they are alone just a week. When they are alive they fight but when they are gone they miss them so much. Its like when humans grieve. They just lie in bed all day with a big sad look on their faces.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well at least he has a friend to play with. Rats get super depressed even when they are alone just a week. When they are alive they fight but when they are gone they miss them so much.
That is true, today I’ve noticed that Harris and Barrat are spending most of their time curled up beside each other.

Harris’ reaction to Jordan’s death just reminded me of how Terrance was, when Terrance was on his own after Atlas passed away. Harris had the same sort of empty look to him, just acting a little lethargic and only reacting to the occasional sound or snack. He’s doing better today, though, walking around again.

· Registered
Sten Sigurdsson & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Arthur and Isabella(R.I.P Harald Fairhair)
315 Posts
That is true, today I’ve noticed that Harris and Barrat are spending most of their time curled up beside each other.

Harris’ reaction to Jordan’s death just reminded me of how Terrance was, when Terrance was on his own after Atlas passed away. Harris had the same sort of empty look to him, just acting a little lethargic and only reacting to the occasional sound or snack. He’s doing better today, though, walking around again.
Has he lost weight at all? My boy has been terrible. He sits around in his hammock or box all day. He just takes his food and hides it somewhere. He is normally a big chonker but now he is losing weight.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has he lost weight at all? He is normally a big chonker but now he is losing weight.
So far, Harris seems to be the same weight, at least from what I can tell just by sight. Might be a good idea for me to try and weigh Harris/Barrat on some scales, just to be certain.

Is Pilgore going to get a friend or two anytime soon? He sounds like a really social rat who’d love to have some baby rats to fuss over.

· Registered
315 Posts
So far, Harris seems to be the same weight, at least from what I can tell just by sight. Might be a good idea for me to try and weigh Harris/Barrat on some scales, just to be certain.

Is Pilgore going to get a friend or two anytime soon? He sounds like a really social rat who’d love to have some baby rats to fuss over.
I will be going into the city on the 6th of December to pick up another rat. I have been trying to find breeders, rescues or anyone who would be willing to give 1 male about a year or so old. If i have to then i will even go to a pet store to get another boy. I can only have 2 since my cage is a bit on the small side and i only have another for introductions. I've found most places give them out in pairs and i just literally cannot handle 3 at the moment. Yup if its very nice rat and gets along pretty well with other rats, then that is all i really want for the new rat. Is just someone who won't hurt Pilgore and can just get along. He really wants someone to snuggle with.
You should check their weights just in case. It sounds like they would be fine though. Like if you don't notice it by sight then usually like 99% of the time they're fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts