Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor little Spartacus sort of has an issue with constipation, his poops are always MASSIVE, in length and girth. Not only that, but he has a slightly difficult time moving things along, no matter when you look at his bum, there will always be a poop waiting to come out, and I've seen him have to pull the poo out with his mouth (which is really gross). I think it hurts him a little bit to be pooing such big poops, so I was wondering if there were any foods that could help with this?

I've attached photos, a comparison of his poop and my other rats' average poop size. That's only half of Spartacus' poop, even!

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm wondering if it's megacolon. I've not had personal experience with it, but if you do a search on this site there is a lot of information on caring for rats that have it.

I would imagine things that are high fiber and high moisture (like leafy greens) would be helpful as well as gentle massages. There are also medications meant to bring liquid to the intestinal tract to help soften the stools so they will pass.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Minor megacolon was my first guess. I'll try giving him a lot more of those types of food first. He's always been like this, and is otherwise healthy, I was just going to let him do his thing and let it be, but I don't want him to be in discomfort all the time, so I figured I'd post about it.

Thing is, I really don't want to end up with super mushy poops! Eugh!

·
Registered
953 Posts
My rats eat a lot of fresh veges and I never get mushy or runny poops. I think you have to worry about it if you never fed them those foods and then all of sudden fed a bunch to them. Kinda like us humans with vegies. Mine get daily salads and most treats are fruits. All in all probably about half their food is fresh and it doesn't cause any stomach upset.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can also try timothy hay or alfalfa hay. Those are high in fiber. My girls always have a softer poops after eating some hay when I give it to them for nesting purposes or when I give them their meadow grass mixture. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Raw canned pumpkin is very good for this kind of issue, a bit of extra oil in the diet can also help
Does it have to be canned? What if it's pure natural pumpkin made right from the pumpkin and pureed in a food processor? That doesn't have preservatives or added sugars/salts in it. Which reminds me that I have to get pumpkin out of my freezer for my pies! Thanks! haha!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Any pumpkin, in my experience is good. It can be natural, or baby food mush. obviously without sugar or salt is preferred.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, the pumpkin sounds like a good idea, something I'll be able to make him eat easily.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just to elaborate on Mimsy's point, baby food with pumpkin may be necessary. My rats do not really love any kind of squash and my dog wouldn't eat it either when she was constipated. Heating it up a little can make it seem more exciting. But if they won't eat it at all, baby food can be a really fun treat. Just make sure it does not have added sugar and that it does not have any foods that tend to bind things up, such as banana. I found an apple, pumpkin, bran one and all three of those things have laxative effects.

Unfortunately I am unable to tell if constipation was a lifelong issue for this rat or if he developed issues as an adult, because I adopted him from shelter when he was older. But my vet says it is not super common for rats to develop issues with constipation later in life, unless there is some underlying issue. This boy had previously had a tumour removed from his guts and quickly developed another one and my vet thinks that may have been stopping him up. So if you don't do it already, you might want to look up instructions for how to do a weekly tumour check.

Hope it's nothing. Good luck!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spartacus is getting blocked up right at the hole. You can feel the poo all the way along, right up to the back of his legs pretty well. It's like it's too much work for him too push it out because it's got so much girth, or something. But I can probably just look into that anyways!

How am I supposed to be feeding the pumpkin? I bought a can of pure raw pumpkin, so how much and how often should I be feeding it approximately?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts