Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this girl is giving me her male ️rat dude to the fact that she can no longer care for it. I knew from the start she'd get bored and she didn't even properly care for him. She sent me pictures and he's a big boy in a small little hamster cage. I'm excited to take on this baby so he has a better life but I wanted to know about neutering and how old they have to be to get that done? She said he's 4 months old.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I got my male from a similar situation and was also told he was 4 months. The vet had to do a preliminary checkup to make sure he was healthy enough for a neuter. Im not positive but as long as theyre full grown and healthy they should be able to do it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's very kind of you to give him a loving home!
Males can be neutered as young as five weeks, or when testicles are developed.
However, the age/size that can be neutered will vary greatly by which vet you go to. Many vets have a set age or more commonly weight that they will neuter at.
At four months, he is likely fine to be neutered now.
Your vet will be able to tell you if he is large enough and healthy enough for a neuter (IE if he has a respiratory infection, he will have to be treated for that before surgery).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts