Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I've got two male fancy rats, Leo and Laszlo, that are currently having to be separated. Leo is the dominant rat and always has been, but recently, he's been getting very violent with his brother. There was blood on one occasion, and Leo's back is covered in orange buck grease all the time, so I have decided to get Leo neutered in the hopes this will calm him down.

I've got their cages next to each other so they don't forget who their brother is, but it breaks my heart because whenever they're up they spend as much time as they can near one another through the bars. If I get them out for playtime, though, it invariably ends in a scrap and poor Laszlo getting little clumps of hair pulled out by his brother...

Leo is getting neutered on Tuesday next week, but I wanted to see if there's anything I should be doing for them in the meantime? It's so hard seeing them separated - does anybody have any suggestions for ways that I could help them? Should I not have their cage in the same room at all, and then when its time for reintroductions, treat them as though they're new to one another?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello everybody, I've got two male fancy rats, Leo and Laszlo, that are currently having to be separated. Leo is the dominant rat and always has been, but recently, he's been getting very violent with his brother. There was blood on one occasion, and Leo's back is covered in orange buck grease all the time, so I have decided to get Leo neutered in the hopes this will calm him down.

I've got their cages next to each other so they don't forget who their brother is, but it breaks my heart because whenever they're up they spend as much time as they can near one another through the bars. If I get them out for playtime, though, it invariably ends in a scrap and poor Laszlo getting little clumps of hair pulled out by his brother...

Leo is getting neutered on Tuesday next week, but I wanted to see if there's anything I should be doing for them in the meantime? It's so hard seeing them separated - does anybody have any suggestions for ways that I could help them? Should I not have their cage in the same room at all, and then when its time for reintroductions, treat them as though they're new to one another?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)
I had one of my three boys neutered about one month ago, he was super aggro, hormonal, beating up his brothers and even giving me a few bad bites.

I kept my boy separated for about two weeks after he was neutered, since thats about the average time it takes for the hormones to balance out. I then started introductions again in the play area, this went on for another two weeks, until I didn't see any aggressive body language from anyone. It took a total of one month for him to calm down enough to be let back into the main cage with his brothers. They now get along great. :)

It's fine to keep their cages close to each other, in fact, I would make sure they are close enough to see and smell, but not grab or bite. It's sad seeing one by themself, but it's only a temporary thing.

Just make sure to give each of them some extra play time, cuddles and treats while they are separated. You can also swap them between cages so they can stay familiar with each others scent and give them a new space to explore. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had one of my three boys neutered about one month ago, he was super aggro, hormonal, beating up his brothers and even giving me a few bad bites.

I kept my boy separated for about two weeks after he was neutered, since thats about the average time it takes for the hormones to balance out. I then started introductions again in the play area, this went on for another two weeks, until I didn't see any aggressive body language from anyone. It took a total of one month for him to calm down enough to be let back into the main cage with his brothers. They now get along great. :)

It's fine to keep their cages close to each other, in fact, I would make sure they are close enough to see and smell, but not grab or bite. It's sad seeing one by themself, but it's only a temporary thing.

Just make sure to give each of them some extra play time, cuddles and treats while they are separated. You can also swap them between cages so they can stay familiar with each others scent and give them a new space to explore. :)
Thank you so much for the response! I am nervous about little Leo going in for the snip but its reassuring at least to know that you've had a positive experience when they were on the mend. I have been giving them lots of play time, and that's a good idea about letting them swap cages. I'll try that and see - although it will probably end up with dominant grumpy boy just pissing everywhere! 😄

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you so much for the response! I am nervous about little Leo going in for the snip but its reassuring at least to know that you've had a positive experience when they were on the mend. I have been giving them lots of play time, and that's a good idea about letting them swap cages. I'll try that and see - although it will probably end up with dominant grumpy boy just pissing everywhere! 😄
I totally understand you being a little nervous, it was the same for me. Thankfully, neutering is a very routine and simple procedure.

Oh yeah, they will pee and mark to high heaven, but that's typical for even nuetered males, they just don't mark as heavily as they did before. If not a cage swap, you could just swap items from eachothers cages first. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts