Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today dropping my kids off at school (we walk) I saw 2 cages at teh road of a house they are moving out of.

I walked to the door to make sure it was ok to take them. The man said yes, please thank you.

No animals in them but it has to be recent, there are the water bottles food dished, litter pans, tunnels cruch sack hammocks etc.

they are both 30 inch Chinichilla kit, Living things brand.
30 x 30 x 15w.

In my opinion better for rats than my 2- 24 x 24 x 24 cages. I cant believe all the $ Ive spent at garage sales on cages and I find these 2

My question is since I have NO idea what happened to the prior inhabitant which looks to be small ferrett or chinchilla litter remains how can I be sure they are thoroughly cleaned so ratties dont get sick? Bars and ect, anyone have advice on that????

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
10% bleach, spray on, let sit, wipe off, followed by hydrogen peroxide, spray on, then vinegar, spray on, let both sit and then wipe off. Use a scrub brush (like for ovens/grills) for tough stuff.

The bleach should sanitize and the peroxide/vinegar mix should deodorize. Check for any chewed/rusted areas and make sure there's nothing broken or sticking out and it sounds like you just got a heck of a deal!

Check the bar spacing as well. Smaller ratties can get out of larger bar spacing. :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Woo, free big cages! Lucky you!

A 10% bleach solution should kill just about everything dangerous for the ratties. (I recently found out more isn't better with bleach- 10% sanitizes more effectively than 50% or 100%!)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i'm not sure how well it sanitzies but i do know do it yourself car washes will get rid of any odor and will blast away any grime. its what i use for deep cleaning time. it made toys look better then new and even the rope toys didn't have a smell to them anymore.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Most definately the bleach should kill any yuckies left in there.....

now wheres my free cage?

lol....i already got my (chez) couch on the side of the road...ppl throw out really nice stuff sometimes....(sounds really bad but its such a nice couch...and in perfect condition)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts