Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throughout the day and night, whenever I'm awake and happen to be walking by, I open up my rat house, and give everybody a good pet. Sometimes, they walk out on my arms, and up to my shoulders.

Gus gave me a scare today, though, just for a half a second. He decided that, instead of going for my shoulder, he was going to see what would happen if he climbed down my clothes. (I was wearing loose fitting stuff, which meant that I didn't get scratched.)

Before I knew it, he was on the floor. (Fortunately, my door was closed, and no other animals were around.) I didn't even have time to think, but he had run under his cage stand, then under the bed table next to it, and then, under the bed proper.

I took a seat on the floor next to my bed, and started to call him. I only got as far as, "Hey..." when he saw me sitting there, and scampered up for some love! :) I didn't even have to use his name...he just saw me and came!

He is so very sweet, and he loves his mommy.

And ~this~ post answers anything that has been said by, say, the parents of certain posters, who insist that once a rat "gets away," they are lost forever, and will live and breed in the walls.

:lol: Not likely! When they get away, they immediately start looking for petting, love, or treats! They LOVE being domestic! :lol:

I adore my ratty boys!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
:lol:

Yeah, my boys have never tried to run off into the walls either. They might explore a bit, but usually just to find something to gnaw on. :lol:

·
Registered
489 Posts
My girls have been missin for 24 hours on a few occasions, but that is only because im not home when they do return so they go out again.

Duchess is like Gus. She needs love. She would escape her previous cage just to sleep and play in the middle of the night..
Shes sad at her new cage bc she cant get out

·
Registered
208 Posts
Awwww :) Such sweet creatures.

Almost every lost rat story I've ever read ends up in the rat being back in the cage the next day on it's own, or it just coming to it's owner. :) One rat we used to have got out one night while we were asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night and happened to look over at his cage and noticed he wasn't in it. Woke up hubby and told him the rat wasn't in the cage and he got up and we started looking for him.. then I saw the cat sitting by the dresser staring at the side of it by the wall. Julian (rip) was inside of the dresser hiding from the cat, we could hear him near the bottom. He wouldn't come to me but when hubby shined a flashlight through the open drawer Julian peeked up over the edge and ran toward him. It was a happy reunion. :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Awww, my female Pepper, loves to get away from me and run all over my room. I give up trying to catch her and after 10 mins I just start making the baby noises and pepper and she comes back.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Kismet got out once. I didn't even notice until I saw her little nose poking out from under the cage. So I sat down and put out my hand, and she came running up to lick my fingers ^_^

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How Do You Get A Rat To Come Out Of A Drawer?

Q: How Do You Get A Rat To Come Out Of A Drawer?

-------------------

A: Wait until he's decided he ~wants~ to come out of the drawer! :lol:

Last night, at "playtime" in the bathroom, Gus and Boo played in the cabinets and stuff as usual...but about 15 minutes in, Gus decided that he was going to climb up to "his" drawer and sleep.

This is OK with me...it's THEIR playtime, in a rat-proofed room, so they can do whatever they want. But after awhile, I started to get tired myself. I opened up the drawer, and saw Gus, and told him, "I know you're in here, y'know." Then HE started grabbing nearby tissues and toilet paper, which he has placed in "his" drawer, and he built a little "wall" between us:

"I'm not here - you can't see me!"

I moved the tissues to one side, and told him, "I still see you." He looked smug, and happy, and started putting up more tissues, to "hide" himself. :lol:

I stayed in there awhile longer with them, and played with Boo, who actually wanted to play. Then, I started getting tired. I took Boo back to his home, and then opened the drawer on Gus again. He was still perky, with bright eyes, and what seemed to be a "smile" on his face. And he still wanted to stay in his drawer!

So I told him, "OK. You're not the only one who wants to rest. I want to be comfy, too. So if you want to stay in the drawer, just stay in the drawer, but I'm not staying in here."

I went to lie down - I really needed to, I haven't been feeling well - and I checked back on him about every fifteen minutes.

When he decided that he had had enough "drawer time," he came right to me, bruxing, bobbling his eyes, and wanting his nighttime "sweetie." Happy Happy!

If he does this again, I'm going to try to get a picture - he's such a funny guy!

========================

My rats don't know how to open their cage. It closes with a hook on a spring. How are so many rats learning to open the door?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree, nice to hear!

Charlie gave me a scare on a few occasions, the worst being this: I had been playing with my boys earlier in the day, and had closed up as usual and decided to get on with the washing. As I walked past the tv unit with a basket full of folded laundry, I see a little white rat peering up at me through a million wires! 'Charlie!' I shieked, and no sooner had I put down the washing and he was scurring over to me with this contented little look on his face! I then put him back, bemused as to how he got out, til I saw I left the back door open- d'oh! He had been all over the roon, near the hamster, traces of him everywhere, but luckily, not a single wire cable had been nibbled. After that, he got to run in the room- supervised- and I always triple checked when putting them back!!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Holly, I've found some rats arejust little Houdinis! I had bricks, those purse paper clips, and this industrial clamp my dad lent me to try to contain my rats, and one girl STILL managed to get out every other night or so! I was amazed, and never figured out how she did it. But luckily, she was the only one like that!

I've also had rats end up in some highly improbably places, too! A long time ago I remember fishing a rattie out from inside the couch! Which, by the way, is out of my room, down the hall, UP the stairs, and down another hall to the living room. We noticed it because of unusal cat interest in the couch, otherwise I have no idea when we would have found him!

And I had a mouse take that adventure even further once... Not only did the mouse get out of my room, down the hall, up the stairs, down another hall, but it also crossed the living room, dining room, and the entire kitchen to come to rest under the refridgerator! That one was missing for a few days before we figured out why the cat was so interested in the refridgerator!

·
Registered
208 Posts
CaptainFlow said:
We noticed it because of unusal cat interest in the couch

....a few days before we figured out why the cat was so interested in the refridgerator!

LOL, leave it to the cats to sit and stare at an object and make the humans wonder, why is the cat staring at the dresser/fridge/wall like that?? :lol:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Haha, no kidding! It took us a while to catch on to that one, too. It was such a long distance from my room to the kitchen (for a mouse, especially up stairs!), that it seemed so improbable!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts