Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night, 'Gustus and I did some painting together. I laid out three small canvases, let him walk across some different colored paints, getting them on his feet and tail, and then walk around wherever he wanted on the canvases. (Afterwards, he had his first bath, ever! He didn't seem to mind it...)

I presented his vet with one of his paintings, called "Tail Swirls." I thought it was quite pretty.

This is the one that I like best of all; "Rat Crossing."

(It's meant to be vertical, but I don't suppose it really matters.)

Don't worry - he didn't get any paint in his mouth, or lick any off of his feet, or anything. His health is fine.

Any other "painters" out there?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i actually never thought of doing this with my rats. but it looks really cool. what did the others look like?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only have one other left, since we gave one to his vet. However, when I get a moment, I'd be happy to take a shot of the other one ("My World,") and post it here.

Oh, yes, the paint is safe for children, so I assume it's OK for "children rats" as well. :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Looks like fun! very nicely done :p

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here, as requested, is the second of three works that 'Gustus has done. (We're not sure, but he might never paint again, due to something like "writer's block," only it's "painter's block." That would make his work very rare, and, let's hope, very expensive - then, he can come out of retirement!

"My World"

Again, this one should be seen vertically, as opposed to horizontally, but oh, well.

"Tail Swirls," the painting that my vet plans to hang on her wall, is exactly what it sounds like - different colors of swirls, made with the tail. "My World" looks fairly similar, but in reality, they are worlds apart.

"Tail Swirls" is a very calm, serene, tranquil, getting-ready-for-a-nap feeling.

In "My World," look for the little place where he landed with red front feet, immediately followed by green rear feet...he was jumping around. This is a painting full of excitement and action...AND tail swirls. ;)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. 'Gustus is very humble about his talent, and encourages other animals to try creative expression, like painting, or chewing through a pillowcase that "just doesn't look right." :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I promised to update you when 'Gustus The Artist went back to work again, and to share some of his work.

I still don't have a photo of his second painting, "Tail Swirls," because he gave it to his vet, and I haven't been over there to take a photo yet.

He decided that he wanted to do "holiday theme" paintings, so that when holidays came around, he could post them here, and also, print them out as gifts for friends. (I think he thinks he's going to give the same prints as gifts every year, but hey, I'm not complaining; people are lucky to get a present from a rat, as far as I'm concerned.)

We just finished up his last two, an Easter-themed one called "Egg," and a general feminine one that is called, "Mommy, Love Mommy." When those dry, and when Easter gets closer, I'll post "Egg." Now, he is tired (and wet from a bath,) and he got lots of "sweeties" to reward him for his work.

-----------------------------------

I realize that this is a little late, but here's a peek at his St. Patrick's day painting, "Sham Rock."

And this one will be used throughout the year; it's called "Birthday." If it happens to be your birthday, you can consider this from Gus to You! (His assistant painted some of the background colors, but all of the "hard" work was done by rat alone.)

This is supposed to be vertical, like "Sham Rock," but I need to do some things to correct that. In the meantime, just pretend.

Coming soon: "Egg."

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
very pretty. i think i may have to introduce the girls to paint this summer

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Children's finger paints work really well, AND they come in all different kinds - regular, fluorescent, glitter, everything!

'Gustus doesn't really love paintitng, though, because it involves a bath at the end. So remember, if your girls paint, they deserve a BIG SWEETIE afterwards for their accomplishment. :)

Oh, here's "birthday" the right way:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
friends
new paint picture in -the lounge- for goodgood friends.
tell you if you want.
look for -good wishes from gus.-
please thank you gentle.

happyhappy,
gusty

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
OMG! I think I'm going to buy some finger paints from work now and put Albert to work >_> He's hairless too so easier to wash!

I put marker on Joshu's paws and got a paw print of him the night before he died. It's a small piece but I should really matt and frame it and hang it up somewhere. I'll dig it out of my sketchbook and let you see sometime <3 He didn't much appreciate it but I feel he understood my need for a paw print of him. I miss him so much T_T

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, double-post.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw 'bert on another thread - he's sure a CUTIE! I think it would be fun to paint with him, because you might be able to get interesting shapes like ear-prints, or body rolls...but, of course, only if he enjoys the "play."

You know how it is; some kids love to make a great big mess, while others are neat. Some like to knock things down, but others are afraid of the sound when things fall.

I bought Gussy a little bowling set that I thought he would like, but he is afraid of the sound when the pins are knocked down. So, we just don't play with that toy. If he doesn't like it, we don't have to do it.

I see that Gus posted earlier. I think he's trying to tell you that he put a new pic up in "The Lounge," if you're interested. ;)

Gus bowling:

·
Registered
814 Posts
that is too cute!! Naz made his first painting today, I think i got water color because the paint didn't show up to well. I painted his paws and tail for him because he didn't seem to interested in walking in the paints. I also didn't want to mix the colors but now i figured screw it lol. I thinking of getting a thicker non-toxic paint to try with.

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What a great rat painting! I love all of the blue...it reminds me of Picasso's "blue period."

Does the painting have a name?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We will see, he likes to play but only under covers perhaps right now. Perhaps I can set him up a tent and put the painting under it? Bastian actually might love it but run away to explore other things really fast XD But yeah he would make some really fun patterns and maybe even some wrinkle skin textures XD

I LOVE the bowling alley! I want I want!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I talked to Naz about a name for it (am i crazy for talking to him?? i hope not lol) and he seemed to like " April water" (i can't let my boyfriend read this or he will think i'm nuts lol).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts