Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My two rats are both still very nervous around me, Burrito is less nervous but he wont let me touch him but he'll happily come and sniff at me when I come to the cage, he's still very VERY jumpy though. Chandler takes a long time to come to me whenever I open the cage and is disinterested if I have treats, he just seems too scared. I spend about an hour everyday with them as it's what my schedule allows but the cage needs cleaning and I'm worried about taking them out as thelast time that happened they wouldn't let me pick them up to put them back! I know I haven't had them long but I feel like I'm training them wrong, even after reading the immersion post and could really use some guidance!

Thankyou!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You should invest in a cat carrier to make cleaning a bit easier. They are fairly inexpensive and are a good tool for when you travel to the vets, for introductions, emergency transportation or for when you clean their main cage. You can put the rats in it with some fleece or bedding for warmth and can even attach a water bottle if cage cleaning is taking longer than anticipated. I would not free range them in a large room while you clean if you are concerned about being able to get them back in the cage afterwards - especially if the room isn't rat-proofed. As for their fearful attitude towards you, it is just going to take time. Keep bonding with them outside the cage and offering treats, they will come around eventually!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts