Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry:

If anyone remembers me posting pics of my beautiful sweet girls Katt & Sparklez and the allergy problems I was having around them ...well my allergies started to get worse, so I sadly had to find them a new home, which the breeder actually was able to do for me quite quickly.

I miss them so much and it broke my heart to have to give them to someone else...Laura is a sweet rattie lover and she loves the girls along with her female she already had...so, Katt & Sparklez have a big sister now and they bonded right away, which surprised myself and Laura, but we're very happy that they get along together :)

Katt, Sparklez and their new big sister, Weeble even have their own room...now talk about spoiled...lol. Laura has also offered to stay in touch and send me update pics on a regular basis, so even though I was very sad to see my girls have to go, I'm very happy to know that they are in a very loving and rattie spoiling home :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
That is very sad. I'm assuming that there were no treatments that could help? I'd hate to have to give up my babies because of something like allergies.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
it isn't the fur that causes allergies, it is dander & dander is also formed by skin.. so people with dander pet allergies will also be allergic to hairless rats.

It was most likely the urine that cause the allergic reaction.

It is shame that it came to this but at least the ratties have a wonderful new home.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your ratties Bren but you know they are happy and safe, so that's wonderful :).

Dan has allergies, and when he began to have trouble breathing in his sleep (it terrified me btw) I asked him if we should find another home for them. It would have completely broken my heart but I honestly just wanted him to be healthy, so he went to the doctor and got some allergy meds :)

He's such a sap :). He loves the little buggers just as much as I do ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I am very grateful that my girls went to a loving Rattie Mom, actually their new momma is none other than our member "Volkl" here at Rat forum...I get emails from her everyday about the girls and their new big sister :D

Yes my allergy was to their urine, it really messed badly with my asthma and being that I don't have medical insurance that is why I had to give up my girls, but I am very happy for them, they are very happy and very loved.

I have always loved pocket pets and have recently found out that I am NOT allergic to Hammie's I played for hours with my niece's hammie and no bad reactions at all :D so I will be getting me a Hammie tomorrow...I'm so excited that I am able to still be owned by one of the pocket pet species :D Sparklez and Katt will have a cousin...lol. I'll have to write them and let them know...hehehe

By the way, does anyone know of any highly informative forums for Hammie lovers?

Thank you everyone for your caring replies :D I really appreciate it

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i'm sorry you couldnt keep your girls, but at least you know where they are and that they have a good home :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I do have some suggestions about living with allergies that I have learned from those who found they were allergic to their rats. Most were able to apply these various suggestions & though they did not eliminate every symptom, many (not all) were able to bring down their symptoms to very tolerable levels so that they were able to keep their rats.

The biggest two would be your cleaning routine & diet you feed them.

I'd have to find out a bunch of stuff like what your current cleaning regimen was & what material you used & then have you list all the foods you were offering. From that I could see what changes could be made (if any could be made) & then you apply them. Either your symptoms alleviate or they don't.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm so sorry to here that. My sister is allergic to my rats too, but she only holds them once in a while. It's mostly just their little dagger nails...

Bren said:
By the way, does anyone know of any highly informative forums for Hammie lovers?
Nope. My sister did a TON of research when she first got her hammie though (which even with all the love she give it, still bites her), I'll try to dig up what she found.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
as for hammie boards I believe there is one on livejournal

I checked it out one time because one of my rescues last summer for 3 rats found in a cage by a dumpster ended up being 3 hamsters. I had to find a spot to look up info about gestation & such since I was almost sure they were mixed sexes. I didn't want to rehome them until I knew for a fact there were no pregnant hammies.

outside of that, I only kept hamsters once in my life... when I was about 15

I don't have anything positive to share about the experience so that is all I can contribute.

Good luck with your fuzzy piranha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts