Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I got a new rat. His name is Hatchworth and he's a grey Berkshire Rex and 3-4 months old. The pet store labeled him as Hairless, though he is clearly covered in fur (albiet thin). As I've been petting him, I've noticed that his fur is coming out very easily and in small patches. Is he molting, and will it stop? Or will he end up being fully hairless/ a patchwork rat?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Young rats do go through a moulting phase. Here's an article on it: http://www.afrma.org/c-c_colorchange.htm

I wonder if he's a Double Rex since they labelled him as "hairless". Here's a photo of my Double Rex boy, Dean. (Please note that the pine cone he's chewing on is not one brought in from the wild. It's one that's been cleaned, (possibly even autoclaved) and packaged specifically for pets.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Young rats do go through a moulting phase. Here's an article on it: http://www.afrma.org/c-c_colorchange.htm

I wonder if he's a Double Rex since they labelled him as "hairless". Here's a photo of my Double Rex boy, Dean. (Please note that the pine cone he's chewing on is not one brought in from the wild. It's one that's been cleaned, (possibly even autoclaved) and packaged specifically for pets.)

Cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Sphynx Fawn

·
Registered
244 Posts
Young rats do go through a moulting phase. Here's an article on it: http://www.afrma.org/c-c_colorchange.htm<br><br>

Cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Sphynx Fawn

You can click on the photo to view it larger :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I read about it a bit and I'm thinking that he's a double rex too. Thanks for the article and help. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm sorry my response showed up three times!!!! I really enjoyed my Double Rex guy. He had quite a lot of personality. Hatchworth is a really neat name. Have you started introducing him to your other rats yet? Or will you be quarantining him first?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've already quarntined him, and he's shown no sigsn of illness luckily. Not even a single sneeze. He's been living with the other boys for a few days now, and they all get along great! Marshall (aka the bully) has been cuddling with Hatchy nonstop.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Glad to hear Hatchworth has been already quarantined and you've found him to be perfectly healthy. That's so wonderful they're all getting along! You must be so happy that "Marshall (aka the bully)" has been cuddling with Hatchy nonstop. That's fantastic!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts