Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our rat Mindy has recently started getting a lighter patch behind her head near her ears... I can't really tell if it's her fur thinning or changing colors. It seems a little softer and fuzzier so i'm assuming it's loss? Well just now I heard some squeeking coming from there cage and snuck up on them to see what was going on (I get the quick scatter and the "I was doing NOTHING!" look when they catch me spying) Lucy was grooming the spot behind Mindys head and Mindy would squeek loudly every now and then. They seemed perfectly fine with it (they get along GREAT, they have been together since birth) and when I picked her up to inspect her neck there was no obvious skin damage. Is my ratty growing up and fur changing, loosing hair, or is her sister's grooming causing the loss? I touch her neck and she doesn't squeek in pain or flinch so I don't think Lucy is hurting her.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Her sister could be grooming a little overzealously and 'barbering' the thinning patch into her fur. Else, if she's young she could be losing her fur a bit so new fur grows in.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
It definitely sounds like a case of barbering. Unfortunately not a lot you can do to prevent it, it becomes a bit of a compulsion with some rats and you'll have to get used to bare bits on your girls :roll:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts