Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my guys hair is thinning on his back, I've read this could be due to a number of things, stress, anxiety, mites/lice.

He seems happy, I would not say he's stressed or anxious and his cage mates are all fine although two are hairless so you wouldn't be able to tell!

I have seen him cleaning his back a lot, maybe he is a bit nervous or maybe its lice, do you think a trip to the vets would be in order or is there anything I can do to try to determine the cause myself?

I read as well sometimes rats get a little hair thinning as they get older, maybe he's just going a bit bald like some of us do!?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Some of mine have had thinning hair when they got a little older, but I wouldn't like to say that that in itself could be the cause for your little guy.

Personally, I would call your vet and ask their opinion and/or whether they might like to see him just to make sure. My vet is very good with mites and odd little problems. I know it may be a little out of your way, but if you venture into St Albans, Animalism on Holywell Hill is very good. They also are very good at giving over the phone info 01727 854787.

Note: How sad is that, I remember their phone number off the top of my head :/

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Cheers for that mate, nice to see another UK member on here so local to me. How many little ones have you got?!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've got 15 furballs (and not so furballs - some are hairless) at the moment, although if I had my way there would be plenty more :)

Oh! And I've just had a thought. Dry, flaky skin and scabs can be an indication of mites and lice. Just remembered

1 - 4 of 4 Posts