Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued this hairless female, and i think that she has an eye problem or some disease, right? I know hairless rats have more eye/skin complications, but i think she is blind.
She sneezes a lot too.
(I applied saline in the eyes, after bath)
Finger Fawn Water Snout Close-up

Fawn Terrestrial animal Tail Snout Toy

Nose Eyebrow Jaw Felidae Ear

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
80 Posts
This looks like she might have a problem with entropion, which is when the lashes curl under the lid a bit and can irritate the eye. I’d suggest taking her to the vet (if you have a vet who specializes in exotics, even better). There are treatments that can help, and some vets will perform surgery to the eyelid that solves the problem. There are some informative sites out there, this one talks about “patchwork rats” which is just another name for double rex rats with patches of hair (Patchwork rats and entropion). I hope this info helps…

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
80 Posts
I rescued this hairless female, and i think that she has an eye problem or some disease, right? I know hairless rats have more eye/skin complications, but i think she is blind.
She sneezes a lot too.
(I applied saline in the eyes, after bath)
View attachment 307230
View attachment 307231
View attachment 307232
Also, regarding the bath: unless a rat is really filthy for some unusual reason, or cannot bathe itself due to infirmity, it’s best not to bathe rats. They keep themselves very clean, and bathing can cause a lot of stress and can actually dry out/damage the skin. To keep her skin healthy it’s best to give her a small pice of bread with some coconut oil or olive oil spread on it, let her enjoy the snack. As she grooms she will moisturize her skin with the oil on her paws and tongue. (Just a fun little tip, and the ratties love this method :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts