Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first pair of boys will soon be a year old and through the course of that time my little rat world has gone to seven sweet living babies. I adore them and because of my animal love (I have tons of critters) I take a variety of allergy medications to deal with it.

My wife has worse animal allergies than I do to the point she takes meds and sometimes has to use an inhaler. Nasacort has worked wonders for her, and she can handle being around them without getting as sick or needing the inhaler.

Over time they have really grown on her. She talks to them and gives them treats when I have them out and has expressed wanting to be able to handle them more. I've seen some people post about their hairless before saying it was easier on their allergies an some people say it wasn't. I know with most animals it's the dander or with rats it's the pee.

Does anyone have hairless ratties where it's helped with allergies? Is it just easier to wipe off pee and such where they could be handled with less of a reaction?

I do wipe my babies of and they get a bath once a month, but there is only so much I can do. I would love for us to both be able to enjoy them together, but I guess that might not happen.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Like you mentioned, it is their urine and not the presence of fur that causes allergies. My allergies also bother me from time to time when I handle my girls.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
do you have bucks or does? Bucks are generally worse for people with allergies and it can be worth considering a long term switch over to them if you currently keep boys. Unfortunatly hairless probably wont make much difference in the long term unless it is a specific dander allergy.

Have you experiemented with different types of bedding? One of our pet homes turned out to have a serious allergy to the type of bedding she was using rather than the rats. We tried several different types and whilst shes still mildly allergic she doesnt have to wear googles and a mask when cleaning them out

1 - 3 of 3 Posts