Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hairless girl Aoife has always been light sensitive and squinty. She's always had a lot of porphyrin staining and needing to have her eyes cleaned regularly and given non-medicated eye drops. She's been battling URI and LRI since she was only a couple months old and just finished a 60 day trial of ABs (but has been on meds off and on almost her whole life). The eye issues may be related to her URI/LRI possibly? (she's a few weeks away from 2 years old now if that makes any difference)

But her third eyelid (inner corner) has been visible for a couple weeks now. Her eye isn't puffy or red or swollen at all. She just had a follow up with her vet yesterday and the vet flushed out her eyes and said she got out a lot of porphyrin gunk and some mucous. She said the inner eyelid doesn't really look irritated, and that it might just be "stuck" because of all the gunk she gets in her eyes. Her other eye is "normal" (normal for her anyway) and both eyes look pretty healthy overall, but she recommended of course to keep an eye on it and call if there's any changes.

What could it be? Anyone have experience with this? I know hairless/double rex rats are more susceptible to eye issues. ???

·
Registered
395 Posts
I knew a breeder who was going to give me a hairless rat for free who had a major eye issue. The rat's eye was constantly irritated. I decided against taking her, but did take home two double rexes. If I had a rat with eye issues like you describe, I would use warm compresses every day to loosen up any material that needs to come out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.