Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my wee boy Eric from my local pet shop, they said he was a hairless rat, which I thought would be great to have a little pink wrinkley rat. The pet shop said he would grow a full coat to start with then it would all fall out.

He first grew a luvley black velvet like coat, like a mole. Then it sort of fell out in patches, what was left turned grey, then got longer and wirey (dare i say, like pubes). Now it's a mixture of wire hair, bald patches and a smooth grey velvet bottom. He looks at times to have radiation sickness, real manky.

I do wonder if in fact i've bought a mongrel rat, cross hair/less.
Of course, I'd not have him any other way, he's my wee chap and love him. But does anyone else have a non hairless, hairless rat?
Is there some thing i've not done/been doing? I've tried a bit of grooming with a wee soft brush, but that only anoys him.

Here's a photo of him looking in good condition (for once) but not hairless.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
:lol: No, no, no... He's a double-rex. Rex rats have curly hair. Double rex rats have hair so curly it kinks and falls out in patches.

Enjoy your special rattie. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yea hes a double rex!! i love double rexs.. can you tell??
lol heres my sweet Alyssa with her hair just starting to fall out after it grew in completely...

((yea these pics were taken at my aunts for thosse who seen my other pics of Alyssa))

·
Registered
197 Posts
Altronix do you have any pics of your ratty, Eric?? i bet hes adorable :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
I would love to get a double rex someday. With dumbo ears, if possible. I love the idea of the curly coat, which is constantly growing in, falling out, and changing colors, so that your rat looks different in each picture! :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thats exactilly how Alyssa is.. one day i came home and literaly thought she was a different rat cause a spot that was on her back before was gone! its was pretty cool though. Alyssas a Dumbo too so ive got what you want.. shes so sweet though!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I had tried to get a photo on my original message. Here's one from last year when he was going through a good stage, at the moment he's got a bald head and bald pink belly.
What really attracted me to him when I chose him, was his stupid (luvley) ears that stuck out the side of his head. Interesting though, the rest of the litter had more conventional ears.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/25/822413/eric .jpg

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If his ears are from the side of his head he'll be a double-rex dumbo. I'm not quite sure from the photo if he's dumbo or not, though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Aww he is just Adurable!!!! *talking in baby language* lol hmm it is hard to tell if hes a dumbo or not.. cute though.
what attracted me to Alyssa was the fact that she was the only.. er.. hairless rat with twisted whiskers in about i think it was 20 other rats. my mom wasnt ganna let me get another rat till we moved ((whenever that would have been)) but when i explained what Alyssa looked like my mom just had to se what she looked like.. and so with that i adopted my sweety.
:D :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts