Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My patchwork hairless rats are 1 year and 5 months old. One sister has been suffering from a UTI which hasn't responded to amoxicillan, baytril, or doxycycline or any combo of these. I do have Septra on hand but do not know how to dose an already-prepared combination antibiotic. How does a person dose 15mg - 30mg/pound of rat when the medication is a split of two medications @ 40mg and 8mg? My rat weighs 350 grams.

A few days ago I noticed a mammary tumour has developed on my sick girl. Now my she has two health problems. I was thinking of having the tumour removed (as I did for my late heart rat who passed away in November), but fear my rat will die of her other complication which cannot be easily fixed. Her prognosis looks grim.

When she passes away, her naked sister will be alone and have nobody to keep her warm. She is aggressive toward other female rats and attacks them and pins them down. If she becomes a lone rat will she have more or less tolerance for a new cagemate? Afterall, she will be stressed out, depressed, and sad. Her sister is so gorgeous with her dumbo ears and red eyes.

PS: If anyone can help with the Septra dosage which is a last resort it will be appreciated. But it seems nobody knows how do dose a combo antibiotic! I realize the Rat Medication Guide gives the dose as mentioned above, but doesn't state 'how'. :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
Septra probably won't help much at this point. It is not a very good antibiotic for advanced respiratory problems.
Can your vet try giving you baytril 10 mg/kg and azithromycin 10mg/kg BID for 6 weeks? That's a pretty good combo that is relatively "new".
Have you tried Lasix for fluid in the lungs?

I'm sorry she's not feeling well.
If her sister is very rat aggressive, she may be happier without a cagemate. Maybe she would like a neutered male better? Some rats do change their attitudes when they get older, so it's possible she could become more keen on a new cagemate.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Velo, a uti is a urinary tract infection for which septra or bactrim is very good.

I can't help with dose. I've recently started using a Facebook group real rat lovers want to know which has several vets and vet techs answering questions. I wouldn't worry about the tumor as much as the uti. No vet will do an operation with a infection present.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ha, I read URI! Don't mind that then. :p

And yes I agree, Septra actually is very good for that.
I would call your vet and ask them to help you dose it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oh, that made me think too, have you tried Ivermectin, in case the source of the UTI is thread worms?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, that made me think too, have you tried Ivermectin, in case the source of the UTI is thread worms?
Actually, yes!

I will go ahead and use my suspension @40/8mg. It is berry flavoured. Yum yum. I hope this works as it would be nice to beat this problem so my rat can have her tumour removal surgery.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i tend to rely on my very to dose combined antibiotics. It's a bit beyond me.

What i would add in is steroids if you can. predinose is probably the best. It can make the difference in a stubborn resp issue. i will say though not all resp issues are myco. It's more common than we realised that there's something else like lung tumours and absessing causing the symptoms. Having had several rats with resp issues that weren't responding to antibiotics pm'd i know that it happens. i would try the steroids and if that and maybe a decongestant doesn't help i would have her put to sleep when she's had enough.

In terms of her sister i would try her with other rats. Maybe get her spayed and try 2 boys as it might be she's not a fan of does. She may have something like polycystic ovaries causing her to be grumpy to others to do you may find a few weeks after a spay she is much less grumpy

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i tend to rely on my very to dose combined antibiotics. It's a bit beyond me.

What i would add in is steroids if you can. predinose is probably the best. It can make the difference in a stubborn resp issue. i will say though not all resp issues are myco. It's more common than we realised that there's something else like lung tumours and absessing causing the symptoms. Having had several rats with resp issues that weren't responding to antibiotics pm'd i know that it happens. i would try the steroids and if that and maybe a decongestant doesn't help i would have her put to sleep when she's had enough.

In terms of her sister i would try her with other rats. Maybe get her spayed and try 2 boys as it might be she's not a fan of does. She may have something like polycystic ovaries causing her to be grumpy to others to do you may find a few weeks after a spay she is much less grumpy
My rat has a UTI not a URI and has blood in her urine. The urine is blood tinged but she'll leave behind a 5mm deeper coloured blood spot when she urinates. I have no clue what that is since my late heart rat who also had a mammary tumour plus a UTI had very blood stained urine which was uniform. There was no 'spot'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts