Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new hairless girl has developed a habit of scratching excessively her dry skin.. I'm not sure why her skin is so dry, but I'm used to the problem as I've owned hairless rats before. She is adequately hydrated and there is a humidifier in our room, plus she is given high-water content foods.

Before, I owned a hairless rat who had dry skin and I used St. Ives Intensive Healing lotion for her- putting it on her entire body daily or every other day depending on her skin's dryness. I also did this for her 2 brothers. All three hairless rats lived for around 2 years and were healthy as they could be. I saw no downside to the lotion.

Well my new girl has developed the same skin problems and I understand, It's part of the hairless rat and could be due to her bedding, our air quality or possibly something in her diet. OR it could just be her body.
I started giving her the lotion every day once I found her dry, itchy skin had developed and she'd doing fine and LOVES the rub-downs she gets when I apply the lotion. She gets St. Ives Intensive Healing, too.

Here's where I got worried:
I read on a site about Hairless Terriers (I was looking into possibly buying one as I LOVE the hairless animals.) that lotion could be applied as long as it didn't contain LANOLIN. I immidiately looked at my St. Ives and it has a Lanolin Alcohol in it. Now, I know I used this exact lotion for my three hairless rats years ago and it had no significant impact on them other than relieving them of itchy, dry skin that they would constantly scratch, bite, and dig at without it.
Does anyone know what Lanolin would do in rats? Should I change lotions? My new girl has reaped nothing but benefit from it, from her outward appearance and from her mental state. She'd begun to get FRANTIC about that scratching and seemed very distressed. Now she's just as calm as ever and welcomes being held and touched again.

I guess, basically, is LANOLIN bad for rats?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did some research and Lanolin, according to my sources, is usually not very toxic to rats. Its not, like, wonderful for them, but it won't kill them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. She's doing fine with the lanolin containing lotion and exhibits no change since I began using it with her, so I think she'll do fine. As long as it's not toxic, I'm sure we're both happy campers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts