Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of a few members who have a lot of experience with naked rats, so this question goes out to you....or anyone who might know ;)

I have a hairless rat named Wasabi. I've read that hairless rats have issues with more porphyrin but how much is TOO much? Wasabi seems to have porphyrin around her eyes quite often but I'm not sure if it's because she's just not cleaning herself as well or what. She is super energetic...a bit crazy actually.....and she has just as big of an appetite as the other ratties (if they let her get any...poor dear) so other than the porphyrin, she seems perfectly healthy. She doesn't have any porphyrin around her nose it's always her eyes.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
they have no eyelashes so they are prone to getting eye infections

what type of bedding do you use?

try washing her eyes daily with a damp cloth

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read they can be prone to that but I'm not sure how much porphyrin indicates an infection. I use YN in litter boxes and fleece blankets or towels. I also wipe her eyes with a damp cloth when needed but she HATES it!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I don't have anything more to add

My nakeds get a little crusty ever so often & all I do is wipe their eyes at first sign of it & it clears up. I really couldn't say how often this goes on because I tend to address it as second nature & never really pay mind to what day of the week or how long since the last time I noticed it.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
One of my nakies, Ben, has excess porphyrin production. A lot of the time he has red panda marking from it, and after he cleans himself it's stained the fur around his eyes. I've taken him to the vets about it in the past - thinking he may be coming down with something, but he's prefectly healthly. My vet gave me the advice regarding eye infections that I should watch for 'abnormal amounts' of discarge (compared to his normal levels) and more dischage from one eye (as apparently it's uncommon to get infections in both eyes - I don't know how true that is, but it's what I've been told)

Both Jake and Jack also have a lot of porphyrin discharge at times - Jack is perfectly healthy but always wakes up with quite a bit of porphyrin which hangs around for a few hours after he gets up. Jake tends to get a lot on occasion - but it's usually due to his URI.

I would say if Wassabi is perfectly healthy in all other aspects, then there is no reason to worry. Of course you can clean the eyes, but I never bother any more - they seem to do a very good job of cleaning it themselves and cleaning it never seemed to make it any better, just stresses them out. I'll usually just wash their eyes out using a saline solution (drops) if the porphyrin gets particularily bad by normal standards

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/befferoo/Rats/benhammock2.jpg

That's Ben post cleaning - he's pretty much like that all the time (see the staining?) When he first wakes up, that area is usually a lot darker and much more crusted. His eyes are fine though - I guess it's just the human equivalent to having super watery eyes

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch Ration. The panda eye description is a good example of how she looks all the time but for a while she was having trouble opening one eye when she woke up. That didn't last for too long but the last few days it looked like she was tearing up more than normal.

Once I looked at the picture of Ben I thought, "That's Wasabi perfectly!" Today Wasabi woke up with nice and clean eyes, so some days it seems bad and others it's not as bad. Ugg lol. I did make an appointment with the vet for Friday. I asked the woman (based on Wasabi's clean eyes this morning) if the vet could tell if she has an eye infection if she's not showing any symptoms, and she said she would probably give her a round of antibiotics just in case. Well..... that doesn't sit too well with me either. Taking antibiotics when there is no problem could be dangerous if Wasabi ever has a serious problem (ya know resistance and all). Sigh.........

Like I said she is super energetic and eating well. No wheezing or proph. around the nose......actually she's SUPER hyper! It's just the eyes, which sound like your Ben. I'm not sure anymore if I think she has an infection or not...........now I'm just rambling.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
MopyDream44 said:
Thanks a bunch Ration. The panda eye description is a good example of how she looks all the time but for a while she was having trouble opening one eye when she woke up. That didn't last for too long but the last few days it looked like she was tearing up more than normal.

Once I looked at the picture of Ben I thought, "That's Wasabi perfectly!" Today Wasabi woke up with nice and clean eyes, so some days it seems bad and others it's not as bad. Ugg lol. I did make an appointment with the vet for Friday. I asked the woman (based on Wasabi's clean eyes this morning) if the vet could tell if she has an eye infection if she's not showing any symptoms, and she said she would probably give her a round of antibiotics just in case. Well..... that doesn't sit too well with me either. Taking antibiotics when there is no problem could be dangerous if Wasabi ever has a serious problem (ya know resistance and all). Sigh.........

Like I said she is super energetic and eating well. No wheezing or proph. around the nose......actually she's SUPER hyper! It's just the eyes, which sound like your Ben. I'm not sure anymore if I think she has an infection or not...........now I'm just rambling.
Well, sometimes when Ben's gets really bad I find that giving a short course of abs a precaution is best. If he gets really bad (truely gunky and just yuk) it's a pretty sure sign something is up, or he's coming down with something. It may not even be eye related - just a 'downness' that's causing more (than normal) porphyrin excretion.

If it's generally a lot as a rule, I think it may just be Wasabi being Wasabi (like Ben) but if you notice more than usual, it may be worth a check out anyway.

I've been told (again by my vet, I've not researched it myself yet) that abs like Baytri and Marbisyl (sp?) and Doxycycline have anti-resistance agents built into them. My vet says he's had a cat on Doxycycline for over a year so far - no problems at all. And he's told me that Daphne (my one-eyed wonder) could have used it as a preventative measure for the rest of her life - had I chose to do that. If you finished a preventative the full course (I've heard about people giving healthy rats Baytril when a new rat is brought in - 'as a precaution') it should be ok. I think it's only when you start the abs, use it for 3 or 4 days then stop, then start up later and do something similar, that you get the resistance problems. But don't quote me on it lol

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well that is good to know. Thanks again! Wasabi's never been to the vet yet, so it'll be good to at least have a checkup!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
{{UPDATE}} :)

Wasabi saw the vet today, and she's a pretty healthy girl. She wasn't showing any signs of infection other than the excess crusties but the vet gave her a 10 day round of antibiotics just in case. She said it was probably a blocked tear duct :roll:

I had a feeling it wasn't that serious, as she is super hyper and probably slightly insane but I always feel better once they've seen a vet :). Hopefully her eyes will clear up, so she can take pictures like the beautiful naked queen that she is! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts