Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I went to a disgusting pet store today (didn't know it was disgusting before I went in), and saw some absolutely gorgeous rats living in awful conditions...I won't go into it in this topic, because I think we are all familiar with this sort of thing and it only makes us all enraged that this occurs...

Anyways, I saw a beautiful hairless rat and she was white...she wasn't as wrinkly as most hairless I've seen, and she was this fabulous white, white color instead of pink. Is this possible, or was I seeing a hairless with white fuzz? She was sooo smooth, she looked like a glass of milk. :wink:

I, too, suffer from the syndrome and almost bought her right then and there, but Brad stopped me with the "You'd-have-to-quarantine-her-she'll-get-our-rats-sick-don't-support-these-feeder-breeders-financially" speech (doh, of course he's right...)

I know little to nothing about hairless rats, so anybody who does, let me know if they can be white, please. (There was a capped hairless baby, too...and a poor pink one all scratched up because they were on pine chips.)

Thanks!

P.S. ~ PLEASE don't give me any encouragement in regards to this rat. Just the "You'd-have-to-quarantine-her-she'll-get-our-rats-sick-don't-support-these-feeder-breeders-financially" speech, if you please...because otherwise I don't trust myself to go snatch her out of that terrible place.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yep, some PEW hairless can appear almost white, rather than pink. I have seen it before :) .

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
"You'd-have-to-quarantine-her-she'll-get-our-rats-sick-don't-support-these-feeder-breeders-financially"

but you should still go back and get pictures. i've never seen this before either but would like to.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
twitch said:
but you should still go back and get pictures. i've never seen this before either but would like to.
LoL, oh no, Twitch...I can't, you know I'll just leave with her. :wink:

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Do you mean skin colour white or fur white? My boy Jack is full of white fluff all over him, that makes him look a little pale. Otherwise, I've only known my pinkies look pale when they're coming down with something

I guess it's not impossible to have pale(r) skin though

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i think the fur that would have been there has some effect on the skin pigment. brisby is ruby eyed so i think she would have been a blonde and has lighter skin then sweetipie who has a fine dusting of black hair from time to time but really pale feet which leads me to believe she would have been a black mismarked berk has she had fur. so maybe if the rat was supposed to be an albino, or is a true albino then the skin could or should be white.

such a shame you can't go back for pictures though i would have loved to have seen it. perhaps there's pictures of it already online, but i haven't come across it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh Twitch...I'm afraid I...

went back to that petstore and....

got one of the hairless babies.

LoL, the beautiful white one I wanted did appear to be a true albino. However, he was pink, but a pale, pale, pale pink. From far away, looked white. I would have snapped a picture for you, but I figured it would be too obvious since Brad was already loudly saying,

"Um, you know, you really shouldn't have hairless rats on wood chips, it can scratch their skin. Maybe that's why that one is so scratched up. Or maybe it's because they are completely overcrowded in the cage...."

and so on.

I was elbowing him, asking to see the hairless that I was in love with.

"Uhhh, that one's a-breeder," said the pet store assistant. "He ain't fer sale."

My heart sank...she then proceeded to tell me that the babies in the cage were "his," but two of those babies were sexually mature females and there were two other grown, haired, agouti females, the "moms" of two of his litters.

I eyed those shrimpy, hairless, skinny little babies and knew my fate was sealed. I picked them all three up and the male was too much. Itty bitty, undersized for (what I assumed to be) his age, with a hood and sort of a dark-colored, scraggly mohawk on his head. (BTW, any hairless-savvy people, what is this called? He's not truly hairless...double rex? He has curly whiskers.) But the clincher was how ridiculously sweet he was and the silly, wise-old-man look he gave me.

Sooo...he's in QT right now after having ridden around in mine and Brad's pockets all evening, finding out what it's like to have a cage that's not overcrowded and enough food to eat (he's a scarfer).

Pictures soon....

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Lol, well done!

Post pics of the mohawk, it sounds adorable. A lot of hairless can get varying degrees of fur (or baby fluff as I call it) and it's usually thickest on their faces. If he's young (how old do you think they are?) it may be baby hair that might not have grown out, or is taking longer.

You would be really really lucky to have a patchwork hairless, those little dudes are caYOOte!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
haha, they're hard to resist. but i bet he's already a welcome addition to the home.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
:) we always seem to find a way to support the ratties financially don't we? well I guess that's not always true but I know you'll be fine. You can still try to "bring em down!" lol

anyhoo post pics ASAP!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, sorry it took so long to post, but here is the charmingly ugly "Splinter". :wink:

(Ration, I believe you're right...he seems to have a very fine baby fuzz all over his body, so if this is the norm for a hairless, that must be what it is. His cute little mohawk seems to have thinned out, unfortunately...but he is adorable, just the same.)

He's winking in this one, one of my favorite ratty expressions:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

1 - 12 of 12 Posts