Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i went out and bought an expensive hammock just for my boys :D i went downstairs cheerfully to get a drink, came up and it was torn to pieces :evil: . i was not happy, but since that incident i decided id make my own as it'd be cheaper.

I use a square cut out of a thin fleece blanket, and hold it onto the top of the cage with plastic covered garden wire, or even better, the rings from keyrings, they take a while to get on but id rather use them then saftey pins incase the mafia hurt themselves (im an over protective mom :oops: )

My rats havent chewed up one fleecey blanket since i started making my own :) woo

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I've used safety pins without a problem, my boys can't get them open. They aren't chewers either, though.

Giant paper clips work well too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yush, mine are tho, they are so naughty! they'd probably chew a saftey pin and poke their eyes out! lmao x

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I only use safety pins in places they aren't likely to get to - like the ends of the ropes, which they rarely ever climb on. I use paperclips to hang my hammocks. I, too, notice that the purchased ones get chewed up while the homemade hammocks last a while. I once spent a while watching one of my girls chew the plastic clips off one of the hammocks, one after the other (by the time she got to the last one, she couldn't sit on the hammock, of course, so she climbed up the bars of the cage to chew it off). When it was on the floor of the cage, she walked on it, peed on it, pulled it to the side of the cage, and ignored it after that. I understood her message loud and clear! :lol:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mana said:
. I, too, notice that the purchased ones get chewed up while the homemade hammocks last a while. I once spent a while watching one of my girls chew the plastic clips off one of the hammocks, one after the other (by the time she got to the last one, she couldn't sit on the hammock, of course, so she climbed up the bars of the cage to chew it off). When it was on the floor of the cage, she walked on it, peed on it, pulled it to the side of the cage, and ignored it after that. I understood her message loud and clear! :lol:
That is hilarious. i never bought a hammock i always made them. MY ratties chewed them before they learned how comfortable they are lol. I too use safety pins but i make sure they are in safer areas and i also use rope to connect things in unsafer areas. : ) mana i love ur rat story : )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts