Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two hamster balls for my girls since they love running around my room unattended. Lola loves hers, but Lulu won't run around at all. She just sits and stares at me until I take her out. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
500 Posts
If it's truly a hamster ball, it's too small for rats. Or do you just mean it's in that style?

Some (most, in my experience) rats don't enjoy hamster-type balls. Rats like to climb quite a bit, and are more intelligent than a lot of the other rodents and small pets you can get, so I think a ball tends to bore them.

Can you possibly rat-proof your room, so that she can just free-range without the ball?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Also, remember that rats cannot see all that well and rely a lot on their senses of smell and hearing when they explore. Being inside a ball effectively blinds them... which is probably why she just sits there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually thought they were too big for them. But if it's just because she's bored or blind, then I'll rat-proof my room as suggested ^^.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Back in the day... I put my girls in a largish hamster ball (separately) and they just sat there staring into space. So I have learnt my lesson it isn't worth it - I think they do get bored and must be thinking why I have put them in a prison lol.

SFN ~

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have a medium sized Hamster ball(excercise ball) for my rat and my rat can run around in it. I just think he is scared because he poops a LOT in it. I would suggest you just make a space in your room that your rat can safely run around in unattended. 8) :lol:

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's widely believed that rats are too intelligent for "hamster balls". Rats need to be let out to run around and smell things, explore at their own pace. Rather than being whacked in a plastic ball and running around in that. Imagine being in a bubble so you couldn't talk to or touch other people, or pick up and explore things you wanted to! Frustrating!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Its also terrible for their spines since they arch upwards a rat is always reaching up in a ball, and they cannot stop until you let them out.

The medium ball is waaay too small for a rat to begin with, you have to get the largest one if you insist on doing this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts