Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Petco stocking up on treats for my rats and my German Shephard When I came across free dwarf hamsters. I already have a small cage that I used for Shade while she was still a youngin with small wheels and such and food. My Girlfriend and I almost got them but I decided not to because I've heard nothing but bad things about hamsters(biting people alot,killing each other, and they dont seem intelligent or affectionate). What are your opinions and experiences with hamsters? Perhaps I might reconsider,but as it stands I dont think Hamsters are very good pets. :?:

·
Registered
184 Posts
hamsters are almost as bad as reaper... dwarfs are even worse (then regs, not reaper :p)

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have never had experience with dwarf hamsters. i have only had syrians and they can be friendly and easy to handle but should only live alone. i do know the dwarf hamsters can live together in pairs or groups though.....but i have heard they are more skittish and nippy then the bigger syrians. i personally would just get one syrian if you want a hamster....but thats just me. the dwarfs are cute but have to be handled carefully due to their size and tendancy to bite from being scared.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a hamster, and hes extremely friendly and very easy to handle, a little looney at times but arnt they all , my advice is if you want a hamster choose carefully and handle them first in the pet shop apposed to choosing by markings .

·
Registered
52 Posts
most hamsters are the spawn of satan :)
there are a few exceptions but as a whole i would not recommend them.
at the store i try to talk people out of hamster and into getting rats :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
hamsters are boring...they bite and they are generally grumpy...id feed them to my rats before i made them a house pet.....
i dont know much about ferrets...but they seem fun

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have a hamster, hes a syrian and hes pretty awesome, for a hamster. :)
they're definitely not as interesting as rats, and syrians are loners, so as far as activity goes, a wheel will keep them busy. I give him attention but he tolerates it more than he enjoys it.
i've had bad experiences with dwarf hamsters, they tend to bite more and aren't as friendly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
New girl has to defend the hamsters. I rescued a dwarf hamster from a rather bad home (ten year old kid decided it was fun to drop the thing onto cement basement floor). Hamsters can make great pets. Syrians do need daily attention just like rats, they can become aggressive without attention. An aggressive hamster is a lonely hamster (lonely for human interaction, not HAMSTER interaction). Dwarf hamsters also need socialization, they can go feral in two weeks time. But why get a pet if you are going to ignore to the point where it becomes feral? Dwarf hamsters also enjoy dust baths.
id feed them to my rats before i made them a house pet.....
That's just lovely pieopah. :x

-Caty

·
Registered
103 Posts
i heard that syrians will always remain tame even if they're ignored, but with dwarf's they need ongoing attention to remain tame. (not that i'm saying anyone should ignore their hamster!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hydra, you are absolutely right. Dwarves are relatively new to the pet field, so they can go feral after two weeks of social neglect. Syrians can become aggressive if neglected socially, but that's true of any animal, including people.

-Caty

·
Registered
627 Posts
I had a dwarf hamster a couple of years ago. She was really cute and friendly, she never bit me. She wasn't really affectional, though. For the most part she was real hyper. She was a great little pet.
My lil' sister just got a hamster (not dwarf), and he's quite unpleasent. After he bit me, she's afraid of him..
I trust dwarf hamsters more than some of the other kinds of hamsters.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Syrian hamsters can be really cage aggressive, also, if you have any food scent on your hand they will try to eat you. They don't mean to be mean. Your sister just needs to let the guy come out on his own.

-Caty

·
Registered
997 Posts
I was looking to get a hamster just a a different experience.

The oldest daughter of a family friend has never been without a hamster, they've all been extremely friendly but very stinky(she wasn't too keen on cleaning the cage or the ball).

But I think I'm just a rat and ferret person. Ferrets are so awesome, they're the reason I want to work at a small local petstore. xD

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had 2 male hamsters when I was 5 years old! The one only bit me once, the first day I got him & he was really scared. They lived together just fine... as long as they're litter mates or have been together since they were VERY young. They need a lot of attention to keep them tame. I have a friend who has one and she doesn't give it much attention at all and the thing will attack your hand if you put it in the cage. If you can get them used to you and tamed down, they're great, but they can be pretty grumpy. I agree, rats are WAY easier to tame, hold, play with, etc. even gerbils are better pets in my opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have eight wonderful hamsters, all live alone in their own cages. Each one has its own personality. I find hamsters are moody, very independent, somewhat reclusive and smarter, more manipulative than you think. So in effect, a bit like a cat! They are fascinating little animals and I love them very much. My hamsters are very used to my handling them. I don't get kisses, but I don't get bites. What I do get is a quiet bond. I am certainly happy I own them. I actually started owning hamsters long before I got into rats. I had sort of a rodent progression, starting at hamsters and working my way up through the other species until eventually getting to rats. I find each creature so interesting, though, I have continued to own all of them (hamsters, gerbils, mice and degus, in my case).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts