Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was wondering if i get a cold is it still safe to handel my rats. im asking this because i know its not safe for a hamster to be handeld by a person who is ill and it can be transfered to the hamster and can cause serious problems. and knowing how quickly rats go downhill i dont want to leave it to chance

Thnx

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If you had a cold, it would be alright, though washing your hands is always a good idea before handling the rats. If it's possible it's pneumonia, there's a certain bacterial strain that rats can get (and die from without prompt treatment). Also, there's debate as to whether strep throat can or can not be passed to rats. Some say yes, some say no.

But for a simple cold? Go ahead and handle them.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I'll agree. I've had a ton of colds this year, and each time I've held my rats to no ill effect.

Although, I'd play the common sense card, e.g. if they like licking your lips, face etc don't let them..and the obvious..try not to sneeze and cough directly on them (for their benefit, I'm not sure they'd appreciate it much!)

Don't worry too much, I've heard there aren't many illness' rats can catch from us humies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts