Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well my sister was evicted from her apartment and she brought her two rats over to my house and left them on my front porch. Ofcourse when I went out there their cage was dirty adn they where shivering so I brought them inside. My parents don't like the rats and they wheren't home so I brought them inside and bleaned up their cage, got them water and food, and put them back. I put them in the living room next to me and when my partens got home they told me that they would bring them and drop them off on the side of the road. Ofcourse I siad no and they just told me to being htem up to my room adn I did but I am worried they will kill them. But one of the rats is black and white and hte other is cream and the BLK/WT is very friendly but the cream one is very skittish. Will handling them cure them of being so skittish? I can pick up both of them but the cream one is very skittish.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you do ever HAVE to give them up, find a shelter nearby. There are plenty of rat shelters and many will meet you to rescue rats. Rats will die if left outside ): And it's just wrong to do that. I don't know what's wrong with people's heads to think that is alright!! It aggravates me to no end.

Handling them will help, along with good food and attention. The thing I worry about is your parents not helping you with vet bills whenever they would get sick, and rats do get sick quite often. Try holding each rat at least 20 minutes a day and give them a treat afterwards. Rats cannot hold onto their fear for longer than 20 minutes.

Many girls are playful and love to run. Try constructing a barrier or an area they can run around in your room. They will love that!

Good luck. Glad they aren't at the side of the road that is just aweful and cruel ): I can't believe what some people think is alright to do to a poor defenseless domesticated animal.

·
Registered
191 Posts
First of all, I am concerned about your parents' obvious dislike of the rats. I hope they will be safe in your room, but if they won't be, perhaps it would be a better idea to take them to the humane society for adoption.

One of my rats was a little shyer than the other when I first got them. What I did was to let them come to me. I'd open the cage and leave my hand in there, and let them come to investigate me. Eventually they learn that you're not a threat and you're safe. I also would hand-feed them treats, always saying "Treat" before I did (if you do that, they're less likely to bite your hand when you don't have food) so that they associated me being in the cage with something positive (the treat). Then I'd give them a treat and pet them, so they got used to me touching them and were okay with it.
Then when they were good with that, I'd take them out of the cage into my lap, and give them a treat. It took about a month, but now both of my rats love me and love it when I pay attention to them. Neither are shy anymore!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Everyone gave good advice. I am also worried about your parents attitude, though. Could you tell us your general location, so we could help you find a rat rescue nearby, in case it comes to that? Releasing domestic rats into the wild is cruel. Especially if they're kept caged and left outside.

I know if you were near us, I'd come take the rats if it came to that. I'm sure most rescues would do the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts