Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure if anyone else has to handwash their fleece (I live at home and my mom thinks using the washer and dryer for rat laundry is gross), but I've found a way to make that a lot easier.

All you absolutely need is a 5 gallon bucket (lid optional really) and a plunger, but you could do what this gentleman did and opt for two buckets so that it's easier to drain.

I didn't want to get our drill out and make a racket, so I did it the haphazard way and used a scalpel to cut holes in a plunger, and some scissors to stab out the hole for the lid. I'd recommend using tools however, since it's just easier and probably less dangerous lol.

I've found this way is SO much faster than traditional handwashing, plus you get a decent arm workout. 8)

Note: It's probably best to do this in a utility sink or bathtub, since water can splash a tad even with the lid on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the post!

My boyfriend and I do not have a washer and dryer yet, so we have to do out laundry as his parents house. I've never asked but I assume they would not appreciate the rats dirty laundry in their machines (they're older and already have trouble with smells because of his greasy brother!). I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of a DCN which will mean my laundry loads will be bigger. Right now I use Woolite and hand wash everything. ><

·
Registered
75 Posts
@LilCritter, I didn't even realize these existed in the United States. I thought table top washers and dishwashers were a thing you could only find in Asia. Thats amazing! I've spent so much money on my boys in the past couple of weeks but I'm so tempted.

How much does your unit hold? And how does the dryer work? Do you need to hook it up to some kind of vent?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gribouilli - I don't know, I've never had a problem thus far. I use Woolite Delicate specifically so I can hand wash in the bathroom sink. I only need about a tablespoon. They are rinsed multiple times and rest in clean water. The linens are then air dried for a number of days. I know that there is a 'clean' scent attributed to the product but I find it extremely mild, which is a good thing. The clean and dry linens, to me, have no noticeable odor. If it becomes noticeable or problems start to develop I'll try and order something online. Scentless detergents are few and far between. I'm personally more worried about household cleaning products.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The dryer is a spin dryer, so it just spins the water out. It doesn't get it completely dry, but fleece comes out just needing a couple hours of hang drying. I usually throw them over the fence that divides my backyard (it separates an unused pool from the rest of the yard). Then it just drains through an attached hose. I wish I did an unboxing video to share, but unfortunately I was a little too excited and didn't think of it.

The unit I have is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Panda-Compact...8&qid=1454458185&sr=8-2&keywords=panda+washer It's actually cheaper now than when I got it for $230. It holds a "full" cage pad set (minus the bottom floor since I use shavings there) for my DFN plus all the fleece accessories I made. But I can't remember if there was a tax on it. I actually was able to get this as a Christmas present (it was the only thing I asked for and it counts as my birthday present as well. A 1 for 2 if you will.)

I originally got this because, like you, my family would not appreciate mixed laundry in their machine. I used to go to the laundromat, but it wasn't worth it to go once a week and the fabric would stink so badly by the end of the month when it was worth it to go.

For washing, I use a splash of Whip-It concentrated cleaner (it's derived from Eucalyptus and I needed something biodegradable since I drain the water into the plants), some baking soda/vinegar (whatever I have on hand), and some Dr. Bronner's soap. Sometimes, for particular stinky loads, I use Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer and Laundry Boost. Everything comes out smelling great.

If you're really desperate to get your loads dry quickly, you can get a portable dryer too. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=panda+dryer But you'll need to vent it somehow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts