Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hammock that my rat uses and she likes it a lot I guess (she's always in it so) and I got her a wicker bird nest type thing that she also sleeps in. But both of them are hanging and I got her one of those fuzzy triangles for birds and I don't know weather I should put it on the ground or hang it? I see pictures of people putting them on the floor of their cages but in past experience have your rats like hanging objects or more stable on the floor objects?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I never know what my rats are going to like. It seems that their preferences change constantly. Sometimes they'll sleep in their hanging hammock and other times they'll all cram into one of the baskets I've got attached to the side of the cage. Some items I've made for them, they never use at all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My rats prefer to be off the ground :D most of their hammocks/pouches are hanging, plus a big hanging basket filled with fleece scraps. They spend about 85% of the time off the ground lol but I have an igloo, and a Santa hat sleeping pouch on the floor with some toys and sometimes they spend snuggle time there lol you could try hanging it up and if they don't go in it you could put it on the floor or hang it in a different spot. My girls are picky about where their hammocks are hung and will ignore them if they aren't in "the right spot" lol so I just move them around until they decide the time and place is right!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My stuff is mixed height wise. I have one who I rescued who can't climb and needs to have low stuff to get into.

I find them scattered a lot, but overall they seem to quite like the higher up hammocks and such.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Mine like variety. I find them in different places and at different heights. Butter cup usually sleeps on the floor in the open, sometimes just on the plastic, sometimes she likes tosleep in her dig box and sometimes I find her in a hanging wicker basket. Only rarely is she in a fleece hammock. The 4 baby girls all like the hanging hammocks. Goose is usually sleeping in whatever is the highest in the cage-shelve, hammy, plastic tube. Monkey is usually with either Buttercup or some of the babies.

The boys sleep all over as well, but many will move the fleece on the floor and sleep directly on the wire mesh, which I find uncomfortable, but what do I know. I have two of the boys who sleep on a small wooden shelf I put in there. 1 who sleeps on a hanging coconut half. The hammocks are where they seem to take their food to eat-they are like hanging dining rooms to them.

If asked this question in a month it will probably be different-mine seem to change favorite places often.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I got mybabies one of those cause they're so tiny i thought a hammock would swallow them whole. If you have CN cage or something similar you could do what I did. I hung itbut I hung it on the bottom of the second level so it just about touches the ground when they lay in it it does touch the ground. If that makes any sense. I can post a picture if you want.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My rat has hammocks, a wicker bird house nest, a fuzzy triangle, an igloo and sometimes she'll just curl up in some bedding or sleep in a bowl

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If your rats are new to hammocks, hanging right on top of the ground is a good idea. If they are used to heights, they would probably prefer heigh up locations like mine do. My boys barely spend any time on the ground. Their favorite hammocks are the kind that are so high up, they reach the ceiling of the cage. I do have a variety of heights, but that is something I have noticed in all my colonies.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I found Tempy just sleeping in the middle of the floor, even though there are a dozen free beds/hammocks he could be sleeping in. I've seen all four cram into the space pod and other times they're all spread out around the cage. None of them sleep in any specific spot every time. It seems to be completely random where they end up, and they move throughout the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts