Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one pew Arielle who is about 9-10mths old has a hard belly all the time. It feels like she drank a ton of water. It has been this way since I can remember. The 3 other girls, including her sister have soft squishy ones. My fiancee is nervous that there is something wrong with her. I don't want to over react, but has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Is she a bigger or overweight girl? Can you palpate gently to see if there are any lumps and bumps in there? did it happen gradually or has she always been like this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is average size and not overweight. I can/t remember her not being like that, but she doesn't like to be handled that much so it's hard to feel her tummy. There is no visible protrusion or bumps in her.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If she doesn't like being handled is it possible she just tenses up?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that is possible, but another rat I have is young and very sill and doesn't like to be held b/c she wants to run and she doesn't feel this way.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How odd. Even if she's always been like this, I'd take her in to the vet and have her checked out. Good luck with her.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've found with certain animals some who don't like to be picked up will tense up, and then some others who also don't like to be picked up will not tense up. It could be that those who do not go into "rock mode" (as I call it) are just reluctantly tolerating it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts