Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience using Canawick Hardwood Pellets as a litter for their rats? Some of the reviews I read said that it was great for use as a litter for cats and rabbits, but since it's made of both hardwood and softwood I'm not sure if it's safe for rats. I am planning to switch to this for my cat's litter since it's $6.49 for a 40LB bag. If I could use it as rat litter as well that would be great, saves me more money... If not I might use Yesterday's News then.

I would only be using this in the Scatterless Lock-N-Litter Pan, while lining the lower level of my D.C.N. with Kaytee Clean and Cozy on top of absorbent fleece liners.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I tried hardwood pellets once for my boys' litter boxes but I didn't care for it. The pellets turned to mush when wet, then powder after it dried. That might be less of an issue with the grated litter box that you have. The fact that there may be softwood sawdust inside the pellets probably isn't a huge concern because it's all tightly compressed and there's not going to be a whole lot of it anyway. Yesterday's News is made with sawdust, too, but it's likely not an issue either. Other paper pellets like SoPhresh and Exquisicat are cheaper for me so I just use those instead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts