Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been trying to get my rats onto a new diet, the Teklad 8064 blocks.
I have been trying to get into contact with the company to order them and they have not responded now for over a week, and I also tried to order from a woman who has a rat site who sells the blocks, however she has not responded either.
Does anyone know another site or store I can get these blocks from?
Thanks much!!!!

Also does anyone else give their rats these blocks? Besides fruits and veggies should the blocks be almost a complete diet without anything else added?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The Harlan Teklan lab blocks are considered one of the best lab blocks out there for rats. Others support Oxbow Regal Rat, but that's more expensive and some rats don't like it.

I give my girls the 2018 HT. I bought it from Kim's Ark Rodent Rescue for only $1.25 a pound- I spent about $20 for the food and shipping and handling; that was almost six months ago and there's still a bunch in the freezer. (Two rats for most of it, three for about a month now, supplemented with Suebees and fresh foods).

Here's the website- http://www.kimsarkrescue.org/content/view/35 . A lot of other rescues sell it, too. The company itself only sells it if you buy like, $1000 worth, which most people just cannot do of course. And then this way you're helping to support a rescue which is always awesome!

Also, the 8064 diet is considered too high in protein for most rats, as they can easily develop a protein allergy. 2018 (18% protein) is good for young rats and mothers who need the extra protein and fat support, and then 2014 (with only 14% protein) is considered best for adult rats.

·
Registered
393 Posts
virgo2882 said:
Hello,
I have been trying to get my rats onto a new diet, the Teklad 8064 blocks.
I have been trying to get into contact with the company to order them and they have not responded now for over a week, and I also tried to order from a woman who has a rat site who sells the blocks, however she has not responded either.
Does anyone know another site or store I can get these blocks from?
Thanks much!!!!

Also does anyone else give their rats these blocks? Besides fruits and veggies should the blocks be almost a complete diet without anything else added?

The 8064 formula is way too high in protein for rats. You cannot order these blocks directly from the company unless you are buying in bulk (and I mean BULK) since they are made for laboratories and not personal use for pets. You'll want to go with the 2014 formula for adult rats and 2018 for very young, nursing, or pregnant rats. 2016 can be used for youngish rats too.

I have fed the blocks before. They are a complete diet so aside from some variety in fresh foods like fruits and veggies and other things it should be fine.

Someone pointed out Kim's Ark as a place to get them but you may have some trouble getting the correct formula from them since Kim's Ark seems to incorrectly believe that the higher protein ones are better than the lower protein ones. If you can get the right formula from them that's great since you're supporting the rescue. If you have trouble getting the 2014 formula from Kim's Ark though here are some other places you can try:

http://www.craftyrat.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TCR&Category_Code=FS
http://www.theratshop.com/shop.php?cat=3

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Just because Kim's Ark still endorse the 8046 doesn't mean they don't stock and ship it. I had no troubles, received my food within five days.

I don't know about the other places, but you email Tracy at Kim's Ark at [email protected] with your zip code and what you'd like to order. (so in your case however many pounds of 2018 or 2014, plus if you saw anything else you wanted off the website- she does flat rate mailing boxes, so as long as it fits it's not extra to ship.) She emails you back with a total, and you email back with a "yes please" and send off a check or do a quick transaction I believe with PayPal.
Simple pimple.

·
Registered
393 Posts
CaptainFlow said:
Just because Kim's Ark still endorse the 8046 doesn't mean they don't stock and ship it. I had no troubles, received my food within five days.
Last I checked the 2014 was on special order only for people with overweight rats or protein sensitive rats but if there's no problem then great :3.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, it's worth a try! If there's a problem one could always resort to the other places I mentioned. I do encourage supporting the rescue if possible :3.

Edit: For the record, I haven't heard of anyone having a problem getting 2014 from Kim's Ark. I just know it's stated as a special order. So maybe it's not really all that strict/enforced or something?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the site it says that the 8064 is good for young rats and nursing mothers, which is what I have..... and i just ordered 15lbs....
and someone mentioned that it is not...
Now I am scared to give it to them,....

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you have rather young rats and nursing moms, sure, give it to them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
virgo2882 said:
On the site it says that the 8064 is good for young rats and nursing mothers, which is what I have..... and i just ordered 15lbs....
and someone mentioned that it is not...
Now I am scared to give it to them,....
It won't kill them to feed it for a little while. Just get a lower protein block next time around.

·
Registered
411 Posts
How to you get them to eat the lab blocks? Maybe my ratties are spoiled, but they only stash the blocks and eat more tasty foods (fresh or Suebees). I ordered them the HT 2018 online, but they really don't care too much for them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Tough love XD. If it's all they have to eat they'll eat it! If they are stashing them you're probably giving too many at a time. You want them to finish them pretty quickly. Make them hold out and finish the few blocks you give them before you give them anything else they like. That way they have to eat the blocks first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just wanted to chime in with my experience with ordering HT from Kim's Ark. I made an order on the 1/24/08 for the 8604 formula w/ some rattie accessories, but sent an email the following day to revise my order to the 2018 after reading this thread.
I figured I wouldn't be able to order the 2014. Made payment on the 29th with revision also stated in PayPal payment, and my order was shipped on 2/8/08.
Got my order today and it's the 8604 formula :/

I was trying to do the right thing and order from them since they're a rescue, but there was no communication from their side after I sent my payment. I probably will order my lab blocks elsewhere next time:(

·
Registered
393 Posts
spoongirl said:
I just wanted to chime in with my experience with ordering HT from Kim's Ark. I made an order on the 1/24/08 for the 8604 formula w/ some rattie accessories, but sent an email the following day to revise my order to the 2018 after reading this thread.
I figured I wouldn't be able to order the 2014. Made payment on the 29th with revision also stated in PayPal payment, and my order was shipped on 2/8/08.
Got my order today and it's the 8604 formula :/

I was trying to do the right thing and order from them since they're a rescue, but there was no communication from their side after I sent my payment. I probably will order my lab blocks elsewhere next time:(

Wow, how odd. I mean I'm sure it was a mistake. Have you informed them of the mistake? Perhaps they'd be willing to compensate or something. It couldn't have hurt to ask for the 2014 though :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts