Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[align=center]I have some questions about the Harlan Teklad lab blocks.

How long do they last if you don't freeze them? How long do they last if you do freeze them? How long do they last if you refrigerate them?

My rats are about 3 monthes old, so which block should they get: 14% protein, 18% protein, or 24% protein?

How big of a bag should I get for my 2 rats? I don't want the blocks to spoil, but I don't want to have to order more blocks every month. I've heard that 1 pound of lab blocks feeds 1 rat for a month or something....Is that true? And then would 1 pound of lab blocks feed 2 rats for half a month?[/align]

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I believe it's six months outside the freezer.

I'd go for the 14 or 18.

And I'd also go for a five pounder. Just in case. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You could always go for the 2016. :lol:

HT says the shelf life is 6 months. Personally, 'shelf life' wouldn't mean frozen, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Six months not frozen, longer if it's frozen. I'm not sure how much longer but it doesn't last over a year frozen I know that. I've heard different things on the frozen HT thing.

I received mine in 5lb bags and froze the one I wasn't using at the time despite the fact it lasted way less than six months. I wanted it to be as fresh as possible for my bubs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts