Rat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
omg has anyone else ever heard of a harley-coated rat?! i had not until just now and i thought i would share them with anyone else who has not heard of them.

http://www.skyclyde.com/HarleyII.html
this page has a billion adorable pictures of rats that look like they got stuck in an electrical socket and have had their fur poofed. they have practically exploded! oh man i am so excited for one, i may have to get one (previously i was on the hunt for a dumbo black self rex).

·
Registered
229 Posts
....AWW!! The white ones look like what would happen if a Bichon and a rat had babies!

I want one. :')

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Ration1802 said:
They're too cute!

OnlyOno- if you find one - sneak a second in your pocket for me! Lol
ditto.

i've actually heard of them before. and i think i heard that they weren't breeding them anymore too. though that may have been the tri-colored rats. in anycase, i wish they were up here too so i could have a couple. they are adorable

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from what i can tell, they have only been a registered variety since like, 2005. i think there is a colorado breeder that breeds them near me, but she won't sell to me, so i'm gonna ask the other breeder cuz the two often work together.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Are they related to the velveteen rats? I had an opportunity to get a velveteen baby or two, but got a couple of other cuties instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure if that particular breeder is still breeding or not, but there are several in CA that I know of that are. I am also planning to have some harley carries shipped to NJ this weekend and hope to establish them in this area.

They have had to be heavily inbred for many generations so far to establish the fur, but now breeders are trying to expand the gene pool.

I don't think the harley gene is believed to be related to velveteen although the first harleys were velveteen also. But after a couple of generations it was realized that it was a separate gene.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i heard of harleys a couple of months ago, and i think they're super adorable (they look like "teddy bear" rats!) <3
i doubt i'll be getting one anytime soon though..they're rare still. :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know of a person in Texas who has just started a line & I believe I heard of one person in Florida with them but I was never able to confirm that.

If you read the page they pretty much described what they have been doing to reproduce the harley coats.

I read one time before that the original "Harley" was found in pet store.
( We found Harley on Sept. 1, 2002. We were checking out an independent pet shop in town. )

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
well if its spreading throughout the US maybe it'll some up to canada soon. until then i don't know i would get one. i'd love to get a boy though and have him neutered to join the family. maybe when i'm ready to get more rats in a couple years the harley's will be in canada or at least close enough that i can get a train going.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Are they genetic nightmares?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts