Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had one like that but my rats would wiggle out if it too.
You might have more success with the one Forensic has linked.

I tried something similar on my Radar, although it seems to stay on, he was not impressed.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
wow what a gargantuan ratty! yeah i bought that first superpet one, and it's too huge to put on my girls (especially tiny picasso). i like the look of that other one though, maybe i'll make one like that. can't cost more than $5 in materials at joann's, can it?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have the Super Pet harness, in the smallest size. It's definitely way too big for girls. It fit well on my adult male, but he didn't like it at all. The iguana leash looks like it would work much better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok. i will probably get the iguana one if i can find it. at a "family owned" pet store nearby they wanted 15$ for a harness and leash similar to that one for ferrets and the one from PetSmart was only $7. Crazy.

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Forensic said:
I had one of those when my boys were younger and they all wriggled right out of it. I've heard people having more success with ones like this: http://www.petco.com/product/5025/Four-Paws-Safety-Iguana-Leash-and-Harness.aspx Yes, it's an Iguana leash, but look through the reviews. :)

I have the one for Ferrets of that type. When I can convince the rats to let me put them in it, they squirmed out of it, or the latch slipped and it suddenly tightened around their neck or tummies. I decided to wait until they were bigger and try again.

·
Registered
353 Posts
my neighbor's rat is still too tiney for a leash/harness...and she prefers to shoulder ride....my neighbor lets me play with sweet pea (her rat) when ever i want....since i took the ones i had to a shelter cuz i didnt have money for vet care..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tried that exact harness and rat DID not like it. she constantly wiggled out of and even resorted to biting a hole into it. She would wiggle so hard that she would move it down her midsection and free herself. :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would love to try it, but I'm absolutely positive that neither of my girls would let me put it on them, nor sit still enough to adjust it properly. I've lost enough blood to rat bites this month as it is (I'm still in the socialization stage with one of my rats.)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'll admit this looks cute and probably a good idea, but to me there is too much outside to worry about, and having a rat scurry around (even on a leash) in public probably isn't the best of ideas. Especially if your in an area where there is many people or other animals, even urban areas are terrible.

I"m not saying it's a bad idea, it just doesn't feel like a good one to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My ratties used to wriggle out of their harness too. But a beautiful, albeit BIG rat there Joanne! xx

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I wouldn't want to take my rat into a public place on a leash either. I'd only take them out into our yard, but possibly not even there. There are too many cats in the neighborhood (including ours).

I was hoping to use the leash and harness to be able to take my rat to other peoples' houses. Since he was a lone boy for a while, I kept him with me as much as possible, and always felt bad when I left and had to leave him behind. But no one wanted a rat running loose in their house (and I didn't want him running in loose either!) so I thought the leash would be a good compromise. He didn't agree :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts