Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a rat harness. Is it safe to bring rats outside on a leash and harness? Will they escape?How do I teach them to wear it? And not wiggle out?Best brands?Thanks for any other information available!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Almost all rats will escape out of harnesses. Rat are just designed to wiggle out of everything. Also some rats may be scared or stressed in a harness so if you are going to use one put them in it inside and see how they react.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
By outside, do you mean on the street? A park? Or maybe just your backyard? I wouldn't risk taking my rats outside on a leash. They can get out of it too easily, and of course there are cats, dogs...that could scare or attack your rats.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have leashes for my rats but I would never let them on the ground outside even with the leashes because of the dangers, and though mine work well there is a possibility of them getting out. The leashes are just used as insurance for when we go to an unfamiliar place. Anytime we go outside the rats are always in a carrier, in my pocket, or riding on my shoulder.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I just carry mine around, no leash or harness. Once Inky crawled out of my pocket when I was adjusting my dog's gentle leader and went exploring a bit and when i stood up she was sitting on my shoe waiting to be picked up <3

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If they are really bonded to you I keep them in my hood, shoulder or for my old boys just carry them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Last week I purchased a harness and leash. I haven't received it yet. I know that rats are very good at escaping these harnesses so I sought out what people recommend, a 'figure 8' harness. It's a really simple design that you could do yourself with some elastic ribbon or paracord but I couldn't be bothered making one. There aren't many people that are currently making these (a lot of the vendors have shut up shop). I'll post the link below to the one I found on Etsy. I'm not planning on using this to let my rats roam free outdoors, rather, I'm planning to use it as a extra level of security when I have my rats on my shoulder while I'm out and about. I have a feeling its not going to work very well... I plan on trying it out at home a lot before I even attempt using it. It was about $10 so I wont feel to bad if it ends up in the trash, oh well.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/256540...=gallery&ga_search_query=rat&ref=sr_gallery_7

Does anyone use any other products to tote their furry babies around? I know bonding pouches and rat tubes (spelling) are common but they tend to have open tops. I'm overly paranoid about the safety of my rats so if I invested in anything like this I would enjoy the added security of being able to zip the rat inside if they got too excited. I found this product on Etsy... it's an infinity scarf that zips up and has grommets for venting. I thought it was pretty cool but I didn't want to jump on it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/259572...283d220095861704075b93ef8ec2bbdfce5:259572972

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, Gribouilli! Ratoob's! I was so close to purchasing one. Do you use them around the house or have you ventured out of the house with your ratties in them?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Both of my rats will happily sit inside my hood no matter where I'm walking... unfortunately, I live in California, so it's only cold enough for me to wear a hood for part of the year. I got a harness and tried it out on both of them, but I couldn't even get them to sit still enough for me to put it on, let alone leave it on.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I've never ventured out with them. The ratoob was perfect to bond with my neutered male and spend much more time with him than I could have otherwise...my female rats wouldn't have him, always attacking him:(. He will have two neutered friends soon, but in the meantime, I really believe the ratoob kept him from getting lonely and depressed.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Pixxiies-the infinity scarf you can close seems great. You never know, and being able to secure your rats if outside is an option I would want to have. Also I will have to buy another scarf if I ever wanted to take my rats outside, as I'm not going outside with the colorful owl pattern on my ratoobs, lol. Thinking about it, I should have picked them in black and dark grey.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's actually a great point about bonding with your lone male, Gribouilli. I'm going to have to consider that for my boys. I understand what your saying about the ratoob. Don't be afraid of color! But it does look kind of silly the way it hangs around your neck, it reminds me of how cliche snuggies were when they first came out. :p

Kay - those pouches look awesome too! I like the mesh so they can see outside. My one fear about the infinity scarf was scaring my boys with no view outside... but then again maybe the darkness would be comforting.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I stuck one of my rats in a backpack once and he was so freaked out he drooled...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Personally I wouldn't take my rat outside unless it was a true blue shoulder rat. Meaning they stick with you, and their recall is on point. Its too dangerous for a little rattie out in the world, and if they did happen to get away from you, it's unlikely you'd get them back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to take my rat in a canvas backpack with a bit of bedding in it she would hang out on my shoulder for the most part but id stick her in there or shed go herself every hour or so to do her business then come back out. She was a lone rat so being able to take her everywhere ment she wouldn'tget as bored and lonely.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Mine only go outside in hoodies. I personally bought two kitten leashes/harnesses before I got my first rats. Name plates and everything.

Know what I did with them? Used them for my puppy and kitten training class. That was over two years ago.

Ignoring all the animals that eat rats, a rat's teeth can cut through wood and cinder block, so forgive me if I think a nylon or paracord leash is pointless. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts