Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight is going to be Addo's first time using his harness. It is only little, and very light (the trigger clip to attach to the leash was SO heavy, so I replaced it with a little rat-sized one).

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to coax him into using it, stop him from trying to nibble it off etc (I can see him trying this, cheeky devil)

:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't think i've coma accross a rat yet that actually likes being in a harness. Like rat-balls, they're just a product marketed to appeal to consumers like yourself, and aren't really suitable for rats or any amall animal really.

But good luck!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HMM.

You're right, it's such a lovely idea. And I'm hoping if I make him wear it enough, maybe he won't mind it for short periods of time.

Maybe if I give him treats... :idea:

Oh I'm so hopeful.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My first rattie tolerated a harness fairly well. I really only used it when I took her for car rides to the pet store, so she was probably too distracted by a new place to care about the harness. One time I walked into JC Penney’s with a rat on my shoulder…you should have seen the looks I got! :lol:

Anyway, getting kinda off topic- I would at least give it a try, maybe he’ll be okay with it. :wink:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello!

Just tried the harness with him, turns out it's a little too big but he is still only 6 weeks old! Seven tomorrow!

Anyway.. He just wriggled out of it :|. My boyfriend, Tim, held him while I struggled to get it on, but in the end he was fairly calm (the rat, not Tim), and let me put it on.

Annnnnnd then he escaped.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
HEh, I know your pain... I have one and it just wouldn't stay on... But I haven't tried it for about three months now... maybe it would work now. :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Why do you need to harness him?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts