Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bijou definitely has another tumor (maybe two) growing. She still seems pretty active and lives for free range time. She's not a huge fan of food, so even baby food and other tasty things to try to get her to eat the tumor reduction mix everyday doesn't really work. She will only eat a tiny bit, even if that's the only food she has access to for half the day.

The thing is, I don't know how old she is. She most likely is at least 2 years old by now, maybe even 2 and a half soon? She's already had one surgery to remove a tumor and get a spay. And now I'm really concerned about the idea of her having a second surgery to remove one or two tumors. She seemed to maybe have a hard time recovering from her surgery in December, and was very very cuddly and snuggly for a few days after the surgery which is really unlike her. It really worries me that this might be a sign that her recovery was difficult and that a second surgery will be even harder or maybe dangerous.

Does anyone have any positive senior surgery stories to share with me? The idea of her life getting cut short from an elective surgery is painful, but it's even more painful to think about letting the tumors grow so large until they debilitate her. With how much she loves being active, I think that would be the cruelest thing I could do. I'll be talking to the vet about it on Thursday. But for now, some encouragement and good experiences with old ratties and surgeries would be appreciated. I know I've read some amazing stories in the past.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My Pastoolio had a tumor removed last year when he was a year and a half. He made it out of surgery and recovered really well. The vet I go to for tumor removals and neuters has done quite a few tumor removals on elderly rats. When I was worried about Pastoolio he told me he's had rats come in as old as three years and come out of surgery alive and well. =P

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Iris was spayed at 2.5, the recovery was hard but she lived almost a full year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts