Rat Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
3,641 Posts
It's worth a try if it's just a minor case of the sniffles, but if it seems to be getting worse, or there's any gasping, clicking, honking, discharge, or other serious symptoms, please go to a vet and get proper medication. Rats are extremely good at hiding illness. The more time you spend trying home remedies that may or may not work, the higher the risk of your rat getting seriously ill, being left with permanent lung scarring, or even dying.

· Registered
7 Posts
Yes.....this is an OLD thread. But my Sway ((Just over 2yr old male)) is starting to breath heavy. No crust in his eyes and no excess mucus. His appetite is normal, his energy and everything is the same, drinking, eating and going to the bathroom normally.....just sounds super congested and breathing is loud. So I'm gonna give this a try first. Of course if he gets any worse.....then to the doc. But I really would like to stay away from antibiotics.

· Registered
7 Posts
Well as you all can see this is an old thread. And the natural treatment did work for a few months. But then he keep getting worse, and we took him to the vet. We put him on antibiotics, even though the doc was pretty sure that he was just old, and didn't have any infections.

The medication helped for a bit, then he added small amount of pain meds as well....and we did that til we knew his quality of life was just not what it should be. So unfortunately we did put him down, last July. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts