Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 boys, just picked up the 2 new boys yesterday, and they have their own litter tray coming in the mail for their 2 week quarantine. So this post is about my 3 other boys who are almost 4 months old.

I got my 3 boys at 6 weeks old and had their cage set up for them, litter pan placement and all. I put it in the bottom part of my critter nation cage, in the back right corner. I was going to wait to see what corner they went in, but all the corners didn't seem like a good spot, or wouldn't fit. From the get go, they used about 3 corners to poop and pee in (back left and top right), and I tried my best to move all poops into the pan--I did really good at first, but have been lax lately from moving, taking summer classes, and an internship. I clean where they poop but I no longer move the poops into the litter pan.

They do poop and pee in the pan (they have a pee rock), but seem to still go in the other 2 corners a lot, and there is also pee dribbles on everything which is marking I'm sure so I'm not super worried about that. I wasn't sure if they were going as much in the litter as one of the other corners, so I moved it to see, and I noticed there was a bit more poops in the corner where the litter tray was first, like, immediately, so I put it back.

On top of this, they dig and sleep in the litter pan! One of them reeks of pee from doing this! I know that I can't force litter train them, and sometimes--especially for boys, it just won't take. I still plan on have the litter pan in there, but I'm wondering if at this point they won't take to pooing in just the pan...

Should I keep it up? Once I'm completely moved into my new house, I could muster up the energy to really give it another go with my all, but would that be futile?

PS Living World Aspen as the main bedding and Oxbow Eco-Straw Pellets as litter (it's soooo absorbent). PPS I still plan on really trying to litter train with the new boys and see if they catch on, maybe they'll be a good example, lol.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I keep several litter pans in my boys' cage but I've never had a group of rats that used them 100% of the time. Some rats are better than others but if they use the pans 70% of the time, I feel like it's a major success.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm gonna be honest. I've been at it for years and sometimes they're still little butts about using the pans. Just to exhaust all your options and spread the smell out I'd add another pan to your setup that way you have another corner covered (I have three pans but that's in a double critter nation), that could help but if not, yeah I'd still keep trying. My guys use the pans about 60% of the time which still helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts