Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all prepared to take on more rats, so I adopted 2 from a fantastic local rescue. The plan was to get my alpha male neutered and then officially adopt the new boys. I was so hoping it would all work out. I decided about a week ago though that I cant go through with it after all. College is so unbelievably stressful, I have constant anxiety attacks, I'm working longer hours, and my brother has moved out so I'm doing more housework to keep my family afloat. I just decided that I cannot for the sake of my own sanity take on any more responsibilities right now. It would be fair to me or the rats. I barely have time some days to see them, over exam week they were locked in the cage 2 days straight and I didn't have time or energy to do more than toss some food in there and close the door. I'm so disappointed though, the boys have really become apart of the family and I'm just now getting them to like me. I felt horrible doing that to the rescue because they've got enough animals as it is, so I made them a substantial monetary donation and got a Christmas toy box together for their rats. Its going to be hard to give them back at the end of this month :/

·
Registered
169 Posts
Im sorry things didnt work out :c Are you going to be adopting them to someone else, or giving them back to the shelter?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I guess I should clarify. For now they are technically foster rats. I was going to do a trial period and then officially adopt them, but since I can no longer do that they will return to the rescue

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sounds like you are making the right decision for all involved, and the rescue will appreciate that you cared for them as long as you could, and also be thankful for the donations you are giving them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts